Maybe I'll be a Gravely owner now....

/ Maybe I'll be a Gravely owner now.... #1  

farmerboybill

Platinum Member
Tractor
BCS 850 diesel and 735 diesel
Hey all,

This Gravely just came up for sale nearby me. Anyone have any input on it? I'm fairly excited to own one if only "just 'cause".

3Ff3J93Na5Ee5K25Mfd3abdf558aa583a1586.jpg

/ Maybe I'll be a Gravely owner now.... #2  
Looks to be an L with the swiftmatic axle. Be interesting what your opinion operating it after using the BCS and Grillo machines

/ Maybe I'll be a Gravely owner now.... #3  
I was raised in gravely country 30 miles from Dunbar W.V. I ran a 1962 Li gravely for many years As much as I hate to admit it my Grillo G85D is a better machine:(
Roy

/ Maybe I'll be a Gravely owner now.... #4  
I was raised in gravely country 30 miles from Dunbar W.V. I ran a 1962 Li gravely for many years As much as I hate to admit it my Grillo G85D is a better machine:(
Roy

I've always wondered how users of both Gravely and BCS/Grillo would compare/rate the newer Itialian machines to the old American iron,, Am I correct in understanding the BCS/Grillo does not have the "live" type PTO as the Gravely, does it stop as soon as you pull the clutch?

/ Maybe I'll be a Gravely owner now.... #5  
Hi! Yes For yard jobs as Mowing or snowblowing. Gravely are a lot better than any BCS or Grillo. Gravely has the best tranny. A true shuttle no stop no clutch A planetary system as automatic. With Gravely forward and reverse no stop First gear or second gear no stop and live PTO
More With Gravely we have two PTO speeds . Engine 2800rpm first gear PTO 1020 rpm. Engine 2800rpm second gear PTO 1400rpm.
Gravely are more reliable. Front mount four 1/2x 13 bolts with all iron casting. My Gravely is 60 years old and run very well
With BCS or Grillo we must press clutch lever before reverse before change gear and PTO stop
For gardening BCS and Grillo are a lot a better choice. Reversible and adjustable handlebar and rear implements are a better idea for cultivating . New engine take less fuel and are more quiet. Brakes, differential lock etc . BCS and Grillo are very well built. I think also they are more safe now. But too light for me. We must add weight for working. Good luck! Oldmech

/ Maybe I'll be a Gravely owner now.... #6  
I've always wondered how users of both Gravely and BCS/Grillo would compare/rate the newer Itialian machines to the old American iron,, Am I correct in understanding the BCS/Grillo does not have the "live" type PTO as the Gravely, does it stop as soon as you pull the clutch?
that is correct you can engage gravely pto seperate from the drive. Where my grillo has to be put in neutral in drive, and let the clutch out to drive the pto to use it as a stationary engine.

/ Maybe I'll be a Gravely owner now.... #7  
Umm, yes I can see where the Italian machines would be leaps and bounds ahead for soil working applications, and they have a selection of New implements that likely reflect 50yrs of technology advances over the old and used up Gravely stuff. Sadly though all my gardening is in raised beds and pretty much requires no tractors, I pretty much just mow grass and remove snow with the equipment anymore. I wouldn't mind fitting one of the new Italian mowers or snowblowers to a Gravely though. In my application the shuttle and pto abilities of the Gravely arent so much necessary but are a nice to have, really only necessary for snowblowing which I rarely have to do as I just use the blade for snow amounts less than 6".

/ Maybe I'll be a Gravely owner now....
Turns out i didn't score this unit. I emailed them right away when i saw it, but they didn't respond. They only wanted $300 for it and I imagine they got dozens of emails.

/ Maybe I'll be a Gravely owner now.... #9  
This Gravely/Grillo/BCS compare has me thinking,,,, What height range is the center of the PTO off the ground on the Grillo 105,, Im sure its not the same for all as there are different tire diameters used and IF I remember correctly oldmech thought PTO rotation on the 105 with an implement on the front is the same as Gravely?. Im wondering if an adapter could be fabricated to allow use of some Italian implements not able to be had from Gravely anymore? I'd be real interested in front mount attachmnets, a modern sickle mower, or a flail mower,, maybe even a snowblower, or ya just never know. The only "issue" I have with my Gravely isn't the tractor, it's the attachments. I think a few things are still out there from Gravely, but most dont exist NEW, and most used attachments are just plain used up and bringing them back to decent costs as much or more than something new. Thoughts/opinions?

/ Maybe I'll be a Gravely owner now....
Biggest issue I see is the PTO speed - the Grillo tractor's PTO runs attachments at 990 rpm. If oldmech's RPM specs are correct, you'll be overspeeding the attachments. I don't know about attachment height. oldmech is running a Gravely snow blower on a Grillo...