Which BCS Do I Have, Etc.?

/ Which BCS Do I Have, Etc.? #1  

cyleclayton

Tractor
John Deere x530, BCS 710 GX8
I was in the market for a good used tiller, and not having much luck. Then I heard the local rental business was selling out, so I went buy and they had one tiller. It was a BCS with an GX240 HP Honda motor and rear tiller attachment. The guy sold it to me for $500. I feel like a made a good deal. New, this rig would cost about $3,000. So I took it home, changed the oil and transmission fluid, and went over my small garden spot. It did a great job, but it needs some maintenance work. I'm looking for a forum dedicated to the BCS tillers. I'd also like to know a good place to buy parts like replacement tines, cables, etc. I also need a replacement handle. A renter broke the adjustable handle releace and, rather than ordering and replacing it, the rental shop just welded the pin in place. That means the very handy adjustable handle isn't adjustable anymore.

I am not sure which model it is, but I think it's the 710 GX8. It only has one speed forward and reverse. I contacted BCS america with the serial number, but they said they didn't have a serial number database.

/ Which BCS Do I Have, Etc.? #2  
I was in the market for a good used tiller, and not having much luck.
Then I heard the local rental business was selling out, so I went buy
and they had one tiller.
It was a BCS with an GX240 HP Honda motor and rear tiller attachment.
The guy sold it to me for $500. I feel like a made a good deal.
New, this rig would cost about $3,000. So I took it home, changed the oil
and transmission fluid, and went over my small garden spot.
It did a great job, but it needs some maintenance work.
I'm looking for a forum dedicated to the BCS tillers.
I'd also like to know a good place to buy parts like replacement tines,
cables, etc. I also need a replacement handle.

A renter broke the adjustable handle release and, rather than ordering
and replacing it, the rental shop just welded the pin in place.
That means the very handy adjustable handle isn't adjustable anymore.

I am not sure which model it is, but I think it's the 710 GX8.
It only has one speed forward and reverse. I contacted BCS America
with the serial number, but they said they didn't have a serial number
database.

You have the right place to find out more about your new beast of burden
and we have several BCS and Grillo dealers here who visit the forum who
are listed below in no particular order.

farmerboybill -Bill
walkbehindtractorman-Joel
bcsshop-John

As you have posted your questions you will either be given an answer
or asked to provide a bit more detail to obtain your answer.

/ Which BCS Do I Have, Etc.? #3  
Hi Cyle,

Welcome to the group. There are plenty of knowledgeable individuals on this very page that will be very helpful.

With one speed forward and reverse, you have a 710. The older 710, not the newer 710. Yeah, they're making another 710 that is different from the 710 of 10 years ago...

The broken plastic handle is very common. Welding the pin in place isn't. Frankly, the handlebars should stay in place even if the handle is broken because it's spring loaded. Can you grind the weld off? Pics would be very helpful for this issue.

Tines for that tiller can be had at any local BCS dealership, as can any other parts needed. If you don't have a good local dealership, I recommend Earth Tools - 5024843988 or earthtoolsbcs.com. They'll get you the right parts fast.

/ Which BCS Do I Have, Etc.? #4  
I thought about buying a used 737 a few years ago, but the guy selling it didn't know what model it was, so I turned to this document from BCS America:

http://www.bcsamerica.com/uploads/pdfs/Service_info_1-6.pdf

I figured it out by ID'ing the left handlebar, number of speeds and engine HP.

Pretty strange BCS would come out with a single-speed 710, then a three-speed 710 10 years later! Now, the only single speed is 712 GX5/GX8.

/ Which BCS Do I Have, Etc.? #5  
I thought about buying a used 737 a few years ago, but the guy selling it didn't know what model it was, so I turned to this document from BCS America:

http://www.bcsamerica.com/uploads/pdfs/Service_info_1-6.pdf

I figured it out by ID'ing the left handlebar, number of speeds and engine HP.

Pretty strange BCS would come out with a single-speed 710, then a three-speed 710 10 years later! Now, the only single speed is 712 GX5/GX8.

That's a very good point, Garden Organix. I tend to forget that's there as I can usually ID a tractor quickly with the info presented. Thanks for reminding us. One thing though - HP can deceive. Several units out there have been repowered - especially the older models that carried an Acme. I wouldn't accept or dismiss a model based solely on HP rating.