bcs 722 pto shiftrod won't rotate.

/ bcs 722 pto shiftrod won't rotate. #1  

bziggy

Tractor
bcs 722
When changing from tiller to snowblower for late winter snowstorm(that never came) I broke the plastic connecting knuckle before realizing the pto shiftrod would not rotate. Does anyone have any experience with this?

/ bcs 722 pto shiftrod won't rotate. #2  
Hi Bziggy,

Welcome to TBN.

This all can be pretty difficult if it's siezed tight. Spray your favorite penetrating oil (mine is Kroil) liberally over the pivot point and give it a night to think about it. Next morning, grab it with a locking pliers and carefully try to get it to pivot. If it breaks loose, great. If not, you're in for a job.

First, you'll need to drive out the spring pin that holds the shiftrod in the PTO. Once that is out, try driving the shift rod out of the PTO engagement shaft. Apply twisting force with the pliers and driving force with a hammer. If this doesn't break it loose, you can try heat, but you gotta be VERY careful not to apply too much heat to the seal behind the engagement shaft. Fry that seal, and you'll be in the transmission to replace it. I always make sure I've exhausted every alternative before I apply heat.

Even if it breaks loose with penetrating oil, I'd still drive out the spring pin and remove the shift rod to clean it up and apply some anti-sieze.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

/ bcs 722 pto shiftrod won't rotate. #4  
When changing from tiller to snowblower for late winter snowstorm(that never came) I broke the plastic connecting knuckle before realizing the pto shiftrod would not rotate. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Hi. we came accross the page referenced below.. posted by Earthtools in KY. We have the same problem with our bcs tractor. you'll probably have to contact Earthtools or BCS for a replacement plastic part. Good luck.

http://www.earthtoolsbcs.com/Freeing_PTO_Control_Rod_on_BCS.pdf