New guy w/plow question

/ New guy w/plow question #1  

nvrwrkn

Tractor
none yet
Evening folks!

Looking seriously at a 853 and had some questions. Like another user I saw here, I have a smaller application for the tractor. We're interested in setting roughly a total of about an acre's worth of tillage up on our property. It's pretty hilly so we have to set two or three separate gardens. I could use the flail after we clear some trees and brush and set in roughly a 30x100' strip, then maybe two smaller spots elsewhere. We too have 50 acres of trails to rough cut, could use the snow blower and a chipper.

We'll be gardening rather than farming so we'll have to work for several different vegetables in these small areas. We're also looking to do a condensed form of gardening rather than the traditional 50/50 wasted space of walkways.

I'm wondering how well suited the berta plow would be for this type of space in terms of not having to make rows but rather plow the entire 30x100 flat and set up our own paths through the garden? From what I've seen these require the user to throw the dirt to the right and basically make a trench that keeps throwing dirt to the right.

Is it simple and possible to pattern it so we just get the total square area completely plowed and evenly spread without creating ditches? We're interested in being able to get down 12" deep so we're looking first to plow and later to till cover crops in and compost.

Any direction would be appreciated,

Thanks

/ New guy w/plow question #2  
You can plow an entire area flat with a rotary plow. You'll end up with two ditches on either side of the plot, just like moldboard plowing. If you get a double plow or you plow only one way, you'll have a ditch on one side of the plot.

What town in SW WI? I'm in Lancaster. If you want to try out a plow and mower and are close, give me a call. I could come over, or you could come here. six oh eight seven three two five oh five three

/ New guy w/plow question
I'm about an hour away from you, by Richland Center. We were close to you this year at the Fenimore Auction :)

We're part timers for the moment so we get up there when we can. Next time is middle of May.

You have the plows in stock as well?

/ New guy w/plow question #4  
The Fennimore produce auction is a touch over 20 minutes north of me. My FIL goes there about every sale.

I do, but for Grillo. It's a very simple matter to change out the PTO, though. Are you looking at a used 853? I have a friend in Boscobel that also has a rotary plow on an 853 diesel. He has many attachments, including the power harrow, drum mower, bay rake, baler, snow blower, tiller, etc. He also has a power trailer and reciprocating spader on a Grillo 131.

In truth I'm sold out of everything right now. Anything I have here is sold and waiting for my next stocking order (should be here by friday) to fill the rest of the orders. However, I have the double rotary plow on my 850 diesel that will never be sold....unless someone makes me a ridiculous offer. The KD440 is NLA and I have no intention on letting mine go without a fight.