run away bcs tiller problem

/ run away bcs tiller problem #1  

farmerTom

Hello everyone,

I picked up a used bcs 720 w/ a 20in tiller. The tines were completely worn down and wouldn't bite into the ground at all so I just installed a replacement set. Now it's actually biting into the ground but I'm having issues of it basically popping a wheel and running away on the tines instead of the wheels.

I was wondering if that was a common issue with really compacted soil or if I installed the new tillers wrong.

Thanks,
-Tom

/ run away bcs tiller problem #2  
Hello everyone,

I picked up a used bcs 720 w/ a 20in tiller. The tines were completely worn down and wouldn't bite into the ground at all so I just installed a replacement set. Now it's actually biting into the ground but I'm having issues of it basically popping a wheel and running away on the tines instead of the wheels.

I was wondering if that was a common issue with really compacted soil or if I installed the new tillers wrong.

Thanks,
-Tom

Hello Farmer Tom,

Yes sir, it does happen, wheelies are a common occurance and its also normal
with rock hard ground.

If you can wait till it rains a bit that helps or if you have a hose and
a sprinkler if the area is large as long as you have a good water supply.

The other factor is speed as you want to be at the lowest forward speed and
then overlap each pass to grind it up further as well as tilling at right angles in
the plot to break it up further.

As far as the tiller tines go the tilling edge/sharpened edge will always come
towards you as you look under the hood.

NOW the issue is digging depth and you want to be only a couple of inches in the
ground on the first passes and drop one notch at time (been there done that and
patience is the rule when breaking hard ground.

No worries Farmer Tom, it just take time. I will be filling my original TroyBilt with
windshield washer fluid to aid in traction this season anyway.

/ run away bcs tiller problem #3  
Hey Tom,

Leon's right that very hard ground can cause the lighter tillers to jump more often.

Can you post a pic of your tines? Are you sure you installed them exactly the same way as the old ones? Did you buy the original tines or the rental tines? Rental tines are thicker and have a harder time penetrating the soil. I wouldn't mount rental tines.

Assuming the tines are installed properly, here's a few pointers.
1. If you haven't been getting all this rain that I've been getting, soak the ground like Leon said. Wait a day for it to dry back out.
2. Add weight. You can buy factory wheel weights, add some of your own, or buy barbell weight brackets from Earth Tools. Be warned that extra weight will make the machine harder to maneuver.
3. Never force the machine in the ground. Pushing down on the handles or trying to hold the tiller back is just asking for a jump. Jumps are just injuries waiting to happen.
4. This is the most expensive option, but the best - Buy a rotary plow. The rotary plow is a fantastic piece of equipment. I am consistently amazed at the quality of the work mine does every time I use it. It will dig full depth in one pas and is much gentler on the soil in that one pass than a rototiller is in three. It's so gentle that you'll throw earthworms live. Worms don't stand a chance with a tiller. Your 720 is a little underequipped to run it, but it will. You'll also need taller tires and at least 50 pounds of weight per tire. The taller tires, wider stance, and extra weight of the plow will make the 720 fairly difficult to maneuver. You may be able to run free wheel devices for maneuvering as the rotary plow doesn't have a lot of forward force for leaping.

/ run away bcs tiller problem
Thanks for all the responses,

I'm pretty sure the tines are installed properly but here is a picture. It seems to lineup with the bcs tiller manual picture I found online.

2013-04-16 09.50.06.jpg2013-04-16 09.50.16.jpg

I am very interested in the rotoray tiller but I think I'm going to try to tough out this season with this tiller and maybe get one next season. I'll look into adding some weights and getting bigger tires but for now I'm just going to try to take it slow and do a lot of shallow passes.

I'll make a followup reply later today to let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
-Tom

/ run away bcs tiller problem #5  
Hey,

Looks to me like the tines are correctly installed.

Is the area you snapped the picture what you're trying to till? The mowed grass may be part of your issue. Loose material will build up in front of the planar wedge under the gearbox and prevent adequate penetration. I'd go and rake off the mowed grass, take another pass with the mower scalping the remainder, and rake that off. Then I'd give it a good soak and try tilling again. After a pass or two, you can rake the mowed material back on and incorporate it on the last pass.

BTW, I'm very jealous of the 12 inch tall grass you've got there. The grass *just* started greening up here. We had a pretty severe drought here last year and all the farmers are champing at the bit to see some lush pasture...

/ run away bcs tiller problem #6  
I recently had the opportunity to till my daughter and son-in-law's yard. He had sprayed the grass and weeds to kill them last year or the year before. The backyard beat me up. The tiller I used is a Troy Bilt Pony. It has forward rotating tines and it would catch the sod and just throw the whole thing forward. I was sure glad when we got the whole backyard tilled, but was not looking forward to doing the front yard. The front yard was so easy compared to the back. The day after we got home from doing that, I spent time researching. What I found was forwarding rotating tines work really well for maintaining gardens, but not so much for tilling sod. I wish I had took along some weights to add, but we got it done, it just took time (and I had to be careful not to launch into someone)... Good luck. (I agree on the rotary plow, I have one that I use on the front of Gravely rider, but the daughter's yard was too small for Gravely)... If you are tilling sod under on regular basis, find a reverse (sometimes called counter rotation tines) rotating tine tiller.

/ run away bcs tiller problem #7  
Dad has a BCS and I used to be in charge of tilling our large garden with it. IMO, that is normal when breaking hard ground. What others have suggested of adding weight, scalping the grass, then raking it off and watering helps, but (in my experience) it will be tough going until you get 2-4 passes done and get the roots all chopped up.
There is a reason why I use the 3 point tiller on our B7500 whenever I can... It holds its ground in tough tilling much better than a walk behind tiller does.

Aaron Z

/ run away bcs tiller problem #8  
Hi! I use a long time ago a front tines tiller ARIENS . We adjust the rear long coulter in soil and we can till in very hard soil. May be add a rear coulter at the BCS tiller could help for reduce run away. I join a pict May be I make one and try. very easy to make and inexpensive. Good luck Oldmechcoulter.jpg

/ run away bcs tiller problem
Well I really wish I knew how to weld because that rear coulter thing looks awesome. Instead I'm just making a lot of passes and slowly increasing the depth and it seems to be working. Just going to take a lot more passes then I'd like do.
2013-04-16 17.26.04.jpg

/ run away bcs tiller problem #10  
Not sure where you are located, but I bet that if you took that picture into a machine shop or fabrication shop, they could make you one easily.
Can you water the ground before tilling? That should help given how dry things look.

Aaron Z