Ideas or Advice for how to remove a clutch off of an Acme engine?

/ Ideas or Advice for how to remove a clutch off of an Acme engine? #1  

dolomite792

Tractor
BCS 715
Ok so I'm just taking the Acme A220 engine that broke on my rototiller and once I was able to get it out ad check over the clutch I soon realize its not like any others in any of the diagrams or how to instructional guides. I was looking it over to see where I could find a simply bolt to loosen to take it off but of course wouldn't that be too easy? I've attached a photo for everyone to see.

Acme_A220_Backside_Clutch_view.jpg

As you can see the only bolt I can find is an alan key bolt right in the center of the clutch where I'm guessing its attached to the crankshaft. I'm guessing I'll have to get this thing into a vice because its almost impossible to take it off by hand even with two people.

So this brought up a few questions for this newbie, if I can't find any parts for the acme being as they might be too expensive and I go with another briggs engine I have, how am I supposed to attach that clutch to the new engine? Especially if it needs to be attached from an alan bolt right into the core of the crankshaft. I looked the briggs one over and it has a hole in the center however its not threaded from what I can see. Does the engine conversion kit sold by Earth tools or bcs come with a newer clutch that might fit better with the the briggs?

I am totally new to this and just don't want any surprises before I throw down some money on a conversion kit and what not. Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

/ Ideas or Advice for how to remove a clutch off of an Acme engine? #3  
Take a tie rod fork and stick it between the engine and clutch and tap it streaght in a couple times, it pops right off.

/ Ideas or Advice for how to remove a clutch off of an Acme engine?
Take a tie rod fork and stick it between the engine and clutch and tap it streaght in a couple times, it pops right off.

Ok I shall do just this, thank you for the advice. My next question is how you connect this old clutch to a new engine? Im just not sure that the alan bolt would work with another engine.

/ Ideas or Advice for how to remove a clutch off of an Acme engine? #5  
The Acme engine I have has a tapered shaft and the clutch would only fit another Acme engine.

/ Ideas or Advice for how to remove a clutch off of an Acme engine? #6  
The engine conversion kit includes a new clutch for straight crankshafts so the old clutch is discarded when fitting a new engine. There are basically 3 conversion kits offered for the 600 and 700 series tractor that were originally fitted with Acme engines. One kit is for engines with 3/4" diameter crankshafts and power output up to 7HP. A second kit is for engines with 1" diameter crankshaft and power output from 6 through 9hp. The third kit is again for engines with 1" diameter crankshaft and power output above 9hp up to about 14hp. The conversion kits include the adapter flange to fit the non-Acme engines to the BCS 6 stud mounting pattern on the transmission along with lots of hardware, clutch lever, throttle cable, and stop switch. There is not a lot of instructions but installing the parts the only way they fit seems to work with no parts left over.

Would a crowbar also work to get this clutch off? its on there good to say the least. Im going to douse it in wd40 and work at it with a crowbar as its the only thing I have at the moment.

/ Ideas or Advice for how to remove a clutch off of an Acme engine? #8  
Impact with a brass hammer while using the crowbar will help. The old trick of impacting the end of the crankshaft with the brass hammer while trying to pry off the flywheel uses the same principle. The shock of the impact loosens most things stuck on a tapered shaft. Using impact with the puller is my favorite technique.

/ Ideas or Advice for how to remove a clutch off of an Acme engine? #9  
Ok I shall do just this, thank you for the advice. My next question is how you connect this old clutch to a new engine? Im just not sure that the alan bolt would work with another engine.

I went through this. I don't remember how I got the clutch off of the output shaft, but but I did unscrew the allen bolt in the center. I may have used liquid wrench on the shaft. Also, my clutch wasn't stuck. The previous owner had the foresight to clamp it in the disengaged position after he broke the motor. I don't know if your clutch is frozen but apparently it is a common problem. On mine, the Acme motor was toast (threw a rod through the crankcase). Fixing it seemed more trouble than it was worth.

I found (right here on this forum) that there is a replacement motor which bolts right up with the existing clutch. It is a Kohler Command Pro, 9.5 HP. In the US, as far as I know, the only place that has it is Earthtools BCS in Kentucky. They have them in stock. They shipped me one, and it works fine. I live in California.

I don't know if you have the manual. But you can find the old manuals on the BCS america website. I think you click on "service" then "operator manuals" then select your model.

--McKenzie

Impact with a brass hammer while using the crowbar will help. The old trick of impacting the end of the crankshaft with the brass hammer while trying to pry off the flywheel uses the same principle. The shock of the impact loosens most things stuck on a tapered shaft. Using impact with the puller is my favorite technique.

I'm going to give up on this thing and just sell it for parts, hitting that area with a hammer will just damage that soft metal, its not going to come out cleanly ever.

Thanks anyway guys!