BCS 715: Show me how to reverse the controls?

/ BCS 715: Show me how to reverse the controls? #1  

q400

Tractor
BCS 715
Hello!
I've gleaned some good info. from this site, and I'm hoping you can help me with the most basic question of the day (I'll bet).
I recently bought a used sickle bar mower, which is the first front-mounted accessory I've used with the machine.
Now, I thought, I see that little lever there, between the PTO lever and the shifter lever, and I'm guessing I pull that toward me to disengage the pin at the bottom, and just swivel it right around to the single hole that looks made to accept that pin in the reversed position! Well, that handle does not: pull out, rotate (twist), push in, wiggle, NOTHIN'!

Can anyone walk me through this procedure? Yes, I've searched the forums, and yes, I've checked my owner's manual (original italian manual- all pics, and oh-so-helpful (ahem).

I got the machine for $250 a few years ago (with tiller), and it's been fantastic, so far! Starts on the first pull (when I remember which position is open on the unlabeled fuel valve), and runs like a champ. I'm hopeful to clear some of my 6 acres with this mower!

Thanks for any help, guys!

Q400

/ BCS 715: Show me how to reverse the controls? #2  
You can send a PM to either walkbehindtractor man or bcsshop for an
english language manual and also ask for help.

/ BCS 715: Show me how to reverse the controls? #3  
ok so first thing that I would do its get out the WD40 or preferred spray lubricant and spray all places where u think it could be sticking. Then I would see with the help of a tool, pliers maybe to see if you can make the lever turn. Remember to slightly lift up on the handle bars to take the pressure off of the pin then it should turn easy. Then just pull the pin back and it should be fine. If it doesnt then I would check over where it could be rusted and continue to try and loosen it. I know that handle on mine wont even turn until I pick it up a bit. Goodluck!

/ BCS 715: Show me how to reverse the controls? #4  
ok so first thing that I would do its get out the WD40 or preferred spray lubricant and spray all places where u think it could be sticking. Then I would see with the help of a tool, pliers maybe to see if you can make the lever turn. Remember to slightly lift up on the handle bars to take the pressure off of the pin then it should turn easy. Then just pull the pin back and it should be fine. If it doesnt then I would check over where it could be rusted and continue to try and loosen it. I know that handle on mine wont even turn until I pick it up a bit. Goodluck!

The steering column release is stuck and may take some serious effort to unstick it. I'd remove the whole steering column and handlebars from the tractor. This will allow you get a penetrating oil in where the rod goes through the steering column itself. Try twisting the rod with good Visegrip pliers. Try rocking the the direction of applied force trying to get any motion on the protruding rod. Cycle the direction of the applied force may times (maybe many 100's of times) to break the rust free. I little heat might help. Some just get so rusted they have to be replaced.

/ BCS 715: Show me how to reverse the controls?
BCSSHOP, you nailed it. Before I read your post, I did exactly that, down to the vise grips! Nothing worked, until my 4 pound hammer joined the party. While being careful to only strike squarely on the end of the pin, I gave it two or three healthy whacks and got the pin to retract. Then I worked the handle hard until it finally loosened up. I knew I'd win, in the end, but wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something silly, first!
The clutch is a little stiff with the handles reversed. I assume this is due to the corner the cable has to make, due to being wrapped around the column? I'm pretty sure it's routed correctly, per the manual, and it's not binding or kinked, but it is tighter to squeeze while reversed.
Maybe the corkscrew the cable makes around the column is the wrong direction? I had to head to work, so I'll have to ponder it more, later.

Thanks for the help, guys!