Tractor
    Grillo G85

Default Adapting a trailer for use with Grillo G85

Hi all,

I'm off to an auction tomorrow to see if I can find a small trailer to adapt for use with my Grillo G85. I was wondering if someone could give me some pointers as to what the best way to hitch the trailer to the tractor unit would be.

Is the best option to fabricate something to attach to the 2 bolts next to the PTO, or is using the pin hole above this a better option?

I was also wondering about the balance of the whole thing, and how it works with only 2 wheels up front on the tractor, a linkage, then the 2 wheels on the trailer. I would think this would create a pinch point at the linkage that would bind, making it difficult to steer. Any thoughts?

Also, should I be looking for a trailer with a bit of height to it, in order to create a seating area that provides enough leverage for turning the tractor unit?

So many questions! Any insight would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Default Re: Adapting a trailer for use with Grillo G85

Never used a Grillo, but I tried towing a trailer behind our Gravely and looked at doing it with the BCS. From that, I would say to use a long tongue and have a shortish front - I tried a generic "lawnmower trailer" (the type with 2 wheelbarrow tires under it) and due to the short tongue length and high front on the trailer, the handles and my legs were in each others way.
    Here is how the one that Earth Tools sells works:

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Two Gravely Two L One with 10 h.p Dek-Diesel engine one Grillo 107d and one BCS 735 diesel

Hi! For trailer the more simple and less expensive is garden trailer . I add a pict. No problem for turn and very stable. You can add a step for foot . Now I use a Home made VTT trailer bigger load 800lbs. Good luck OldmechAdapting a trailer for use with Grillo G85-pictrailer.jpg

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by oldmech View Post
    Hi! For trailer the more simple and less expensive is garden trailer . I add a pict. No problem for turn and very stable. You can add a step for foot . Now I use a Home made VTT trailer bigger load 800lbs. Good luck Oldmech
    That would work well. My problem was that I didn't have the extension you have on the tounge and so my knees were hitting the handlebars every time I turned.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    bcs 735 sc 2400 cub cadet/with loader

I am building one like oldmechs trailer for my tractor. Does anyone know how much that pto driven trailer is? I like the wheel weights oldmech.

Tractor
    BCS 850 diesel and 735 diesel

Lots.

That, and you can't adapt one to your 735. You can't actually get one for any BCS, used or new. The only models available in the US that have powered trailer capacity are the Grillo 107d and the Grillo 131 - AND only if you buy them with the auxiliary PTO. The 107d requires a $500 kit plus $3700 trailer. The 131 requires a $350 kit and a $3700 trailer.
    BCS 850 w/ Kohler Diesel, 30" tiller, 18 inch combined ridger, 36" dozer blade, 28" snow thrower, BCS BIO100 chipper, blade, 38" mower, 26 inch rough cut mower, 36 inch sickle, trencher, 2 way plow, ridger, hiller/furrower

Deere 60, 3010, 3020, 4010, 4020, 4430, 4640, 4840 and all the implements to work 'em

Tractor
    bcs 735 sc 2400 cub cadet/with loader

Wow, a lot is an understatement. But still very cool.

Tractor
    BCS 740

Hi

I just had a look at the homepage of an Italian producer of wheel-driven trailers - Erreppi.

Erreppi - Vehicles At Work

Their model RTS 120 is sold in the US, and I'm surprised to see that it should actually fit 7 different BCS models including the BCS 735.

Does anyone by the way know the empty weight of the Erreppi RTS 120?

Best regards

Jens

Tractor
    BCS 850 diesel and 735 diesel

Hey Jens,

Being in Deutschland, they could very well be available to you. As I said, the only tractors available in the US that can be equipped with a powered trailer are Grillo. In order to power the trailer, you need to install a second PTO. No one to my knowledge offers the PTO for any other tractor currently, but that can change. The predecessor of BCS America (the one after Mainline that was based in Matthews, NC) brought in a couple tractors equipped with the powered trailer. My understanding is that it was less than 5. They didn't sell well, so they dropped them.
    Of course, I'm sure someone who REALLY wanted one anywhere could order one from Erreppi and install it themselves.
    BCS 850 w/ Kohler Diesel, 30" tiller, 18 inch combined ridger, 36" dozer blade, 28" snow thrower, BCS BIO100 chipper, blade, 38" mower, 26 inch rough cut mower, 36 inch sickle, trencher, 2 way plow, ridger, hiller/furrower

Deere 60, 3010, 3020, 4010, 4020, 4430, 4640, 4840 and all the implements to work 'em

Tractor
    Grillo G85

Thanks everyone for your comments. Oldmech, that is the sort of thing I was thinking about so thanks for the picture.

As it turns out, I couldn't find a trailer in my 'project' price range so will continue to keep an eye out for a suitable donor trailer for the job.

I did come back with an old potato ridger though, that I can hopefully adapt to fit on the Grillo. It looks a little larger than the shop bought versions that I've seen, but at only 10 (about 15 US Dollars), I couldn't resist. Might need to fashion some wheel weights too, will have to rummage about the yard and see what I can find.