Old BCS 725 Acme Diesel

/ Old BCS 725 Acme Diesel #1  

dolomite792

Tractor
BCS 715
Good Afternoon

I'm looking at this Acme ADN37 8hp Diesel Engine on a Mainline 725 BCS body. In the BCS gurus opinion is this thing worth fixing up? Who knows how long it's been sitting, it's missing the air filter assembly and no word on whether it starts or not. It does turn freely and appears to have compression in there.

Thoughts or experiences with this engine? BCS_725_Diesel.JPG

Thanks for all of your excellent advice

Ryan

/ Old BCS 725 Acme Diesel #2  
That's a good looking dog...

/ Old BCS 725 Acme Diesel #3  
Hi! I have and use this engine on my 735 BCS. Powerful small diesel engine (long stroke)
You can have parts from Earthtools.
Mine at first was stop running when fuel tank was half or less. I change fuel filter (in tank) Run very well now. I add a compression release lever and more easy to crank now but always very hard to crank in cold weather. I adjust valve .15 mm or .006 in. Not .015 in. as mine was. This engine take about one liter fuel hour.
For your We dont know if this engine run a long time without air filter? I like diesel engine. Good luck! Oldmech

/ Old BCS 725 Acme Diesel
Hi! I have and use this engine on my 735 BCS. Powerful small diesel engine (long stroke)
You can have parts from Earthtools.
Mine at first was stop running when fuel tank was half or less. I change fuel filter (in tank) Run very well now. I add a compression release lever and more easy to crank now but always very hard to crank in cold weather. I adjust valve .15 mm or .006 in. Not .015 in. as mine was. This engine take about one liter fuel hour.
For your We dont know if this engine run a long time without air filter? I like diesel engine. Good luck! Oldmech

Well if I bought it I would absolutely put an oil bath air filter on it without hesitation. I have no experience with a diesel engine and I wonder what kinds of things might go wrong with one after sitting for so many years? Can this engine fit a 715 and use the same clutch as an acme a220? Or does it require a different style of clutch?

/ Old BCS 725 Acme Diesel #5  
I THINK the same clutch fits either engine. Frankly, I keep it on the 725. The 725 is essentially the same as the 715, but it has two more working speeds in "tiller" mode and one more in "mower" mode. If you came across a 735, you may want to consider switching it over to that machine because it adds locking differential and steering brakes on top of the extra gears.

The input shafts are the same on the 715, 725, 735 ( not to mention nearly all the other models), so you can keep the clutch that's on the engine and mount it as a unit to whatever transmission you want.

/ Old BCS 725 Acme Diesel #6  
I have a 1978 Acme ad37 I got on a 715. Just recently found a 93 605 and swapped the Acme for the gas engine. The biggest complaint I have is a lack of decompression lever to make the starts easier. As far as that one is concerned I would want to see what the cylinder and fuel injection pump look like. If it has corrosion from water getting in, it may be a lost cause.

/ Old BCS 725 Acme Diesel
I have a 1978 Acme ad37 I got on a 715. Just recently found a 93 605 and swapped the Acme for the gas engine. The biggest complaint I have is a lack of decompression lever to make the starts easier. As far as that one is concerned I would want to see what the cylinder and fuel injection pump look like. If it has corrosion from water getting in, it may be a lost cause.

Excellent this is exactly what I was looking for!!!

Thank you kind sir!! Good tip!