Not real impreased with Zanon brush mower.

/ Not real impreased with Zanon brush mower. #1  

Woodsyways

Tractor
BCS 853 Diesel
Well my dad and I bit the bullet on the Diesel BCS 853 from earth tools. We got the Zanon "Super-heavy-duty" brush mower and Berta single rotary plow. I got banned from using the thing after I tried to mow down a clump of deer brush. The machine pushed it over didn't cut it and the brush popped back up caught the wiring harness on the side of the engine and pushed it into the lug of the tire.
Wireing Harness.jpg
I rewired the connector and got the machine functioning and zip tied the wires in place.

The next weekend one of the bolts that holds the round plate the blades are attached to backed out and pivoted on the second bolt into the deck.
Deck.jpg
At this point I'm not happy but we hadn't checked the bolts, which only had a lock washer, and were not locktited into place at least the thing was still working.

Then last week I gave dad a call to see how things were going and he said the mower is broken and leaking gear oil. So without tearing into the thing I gave Earth Tools a call and their technician said it might be an oil seal. Well I opened up the gear box this evening and BUMMER it is not an oil seal. The gear housing is cracked. I will have to call back tomorrow and see what they will warranty.
gear box 2.jpg

Gear box.jpg

Our property is thick but dad was able to get some areas cleaned up with the mower and a small saw before it broke.
thick veg.jpg

cleared area.jpg

/ Not real impreased with Zanon brush mower. #2  
HI there...Joel here, owner of Earth Tools. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with that Zanon mower. They have been pretty reliable in general, but we have had some issues with them not locktiting bolts that should have been. The gearbox crack is most certainly a result of the impact the one spindle got when the blade bolts backed out...amazing how one simple thing can lead to so many complications. We will cover the thing...the big question is: do you want to keep the Zanon mower, or trade it for another brand? Just give me a call and we'll discuss it. --Joel

/ Not real impreased with Zanon brush mower.
Thanks Joel. My dad will contact you tomorrow to discuss since he put most off the time on the machine. I do appriciate the customer service that is how you keep customers for life!

/ Not real impreased with Zanon brush mower. #5  
Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I have a zanon finish mower and love it for a finish mower nothing slows it down as long as it isn't woody . It will mow grass the old 18 hp rider would bog on .
Roy

/ Not real impreased with Zanon brush mower. #6  
Any latest on this thread? Did you opt for a new zanon or another brand?

Like I posted in another thread, I am considering the bcs vs zanon brush mower myself.

/ Not real impreased with Zanon brush mower.
My dad had the most time on the machine and wanted to stick with the Zannon and I think if we stay away from brush and stick to mowing blackberry canes and weeds it should work good to keep cleared areas open. The hight control on the Zannon is easy to quick to adjust a desirable feature for our uneven ground. The yellow part of the deck is made out of thin sheet metal and won't hold up to heavy use. The red deck is as heavy as you would want for weight purposes. Overall the mower is well constructed just don't expect it mow through heavy brush, you have to feather it in and out when there are multiple woody stems and at that point my Sthil FS250 with the metal saw blade is way faster (although your left with a lot of brush to burn). Were considering renting a skid steer with a brush mower to open areas up next spring when everything has been packed down from the snow and obstacles are more visible and then using the Zannon brush mower to keep things under control.

I will be picking up the replacement mower tomorrow. I have to put in a good word for Joel and the crew at Earth Tools for getting us a replacement at no cost to us and I am sure no small cost to them! (shipping to California can't be cheap) Thanks for the good service!

Last edited: