Tractor
    Mahindra 3215 hst

Default Redoing ignition on Gravely walk behind

this is the magneto style (1970's) with the Kohler motor and electric start. Need to swap out the ignition switch and the old one is not original and a swap of wire to terminal on new switch didn't work.
    Anyone know if I can go plugging into the back of the switch willy nilly without jeopardizing the magneto? or?
    Regards, MMist

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Two Gravely Two L One with 10 h.p Dek-Diesel engine one Grillo 107d and one BCS 735 diesel

Default Re: Redoing ignition on Gravely walk behind

Hi! The best is original or OEM part but I add a pict of Kohler wiring (Magneto electric start) engine. Good luck. OldmechRedoing ignition on Gravely walk behind-num-riser-2-jpg

Tractor
    Mahindra 3215 hst

Thanks for the schematic.
    I picked up a Gravely ignition #018272...turns out it's a 4 position, rather than a 3 position that was in there. Plug ins 'looked' the same, however it didn't work...so I used an ohm meter to check it out and could never get a reading in the 'on' position.
    Bad switch?
    Regards, Scotty

Tractor
    Gravely 8179KT, 5240, 5665, pro12, C8, promaster50 and 432. Cub Cadet 3225 and a Ford 1910.

Go to gravelytractorclub.org and find the proper manual for your machine. There are many different switches that "look" the same.
    I'm pretty sure there was no magneto ignition on the 1970's Kohler walk behinds. They all used battery ignition with coil/points/condensor.
    The switch you probably need is the 019223.
    To be sure though, get the manual from gravelytractorclub.org.

Tractor
    Mahindra 3215 hst

Quote Originally Posted by gravelyjohn View Post
    Go to gravelytractorclub.org and find the proper manual for your machine. There are many different switches that "look" the same.
    I'm pretty sure there was no magneto ignition on the 1970's Kohler walk behinds. They all used battery ignition with coil/points/condensor.
    The switch you probably need is the 019223.
    To be sure though, get the manual from gravelytractorclub.org.
    Where do I find the serial number on the gravely walk behind? Kohler Engine, electric start, alternator. Nice old machine if I can ever decode the ignition switch.
    I bought a 3 position ignition switch for the Gravely...(off, on, start.)

5 plugins in back...B, G, L, M, S...the lettering system is confusing me.
    I have 4 wires to plug in.
    One to Coil
    One to battery side of starter solenoid
    One from small post in center of starter solenoid
    One to (alternator?...a magnesium looking cube about 3x4x6 that is finned and sits next to the battery)

Using the multimeter on the switch it says b and s are 'START' (battery and starter?)...would that be the two leads coming off the starter solenoid?
    One on side also goes to battery, smaller one in middle goes to ? (starter?)

'ON' seems to be B and L...so battery and...?
    Thanks for any assistance.
    Last edited by MMist; 06-09-2013 at 08:42 PM. Reason: additional information

Tractor
    Mahindra 3215 hst

We'll I went to youtube and it 'looks' as though I have a Gravely 546. Getting closer to figuring it out.

Tractor
    Gravely 8179KT, 5240, 5665, pro12, C8, promaster50 and 432. Cub Cadet 3225 and a Ford 1910.

If I'm not mistaken, the serial number on the 500 series should be on an aluminum tag riveted to the left side of the front pto casting. On the 5000 series I think they used a decal or sticker perhaps on the top of the dash just under the hood. The serial number pertains to the year of manufacture. The model number would have been in big letters on the side of the hood.

All the info you need can be obtained from gravelytractorclub.org. They have all the manuals you will ever need and they are free for the downloading.

To my knowledge, all Kohler powered walk behinds used the 019223 ignition switch.

Redoing ignition on Gravely walk behind-19223-jpg

wire from coil terminal goes to BATT. terminal on switch
    wire from small solenoid post goes to START terminal on switch
    wire from battery side of solenoid goes to IGN terminal on switch with an inline 15 amp fuse
    wire from regulator/rectifies goes to ACC terminal on switch