overheated diesel (Kohler)

/ overheated diesel (Kohler) #11  
Sorry to hear about your diesel.

I went the other way. I mounted a KD440 on an 830, but never bothered to mount a battery. It seems to me the decompression mechanism sometimes doesn't decompress right away, which is fine because TDC is a bear to find with it decompressed. You can "just" feel it as you go over. Turning the flywheel by hand is much more difficult than pulling the cord. Yours is probably working as it should. I like to find TDC, get just past it, and give it all I got. Unless it's bitterly cold, it starts on the first pull nearly every time.

/ overheated diesel (Kohler)
Due to a shortage of fuel tanks in the US, I rigged up a tank and replaced the lines and filter. Engine ran fine.

Now that I know the engine is okay, We decided we're going to put the gas engine on it to mow the hillsides(hills are steep enough the diesel will runaway). I was in the process of draining out the fuel system and filling it with ATF for storage when accidental I dried out the pump. Decided I wasn't going to 'pull prime' the engine I charged the battery.. But the battery was fine. Found that the mouse nest was also blown into the started and jammed up the solenoid. Cleaned it all out and the starter works again too.

PS: Anyone have a ultra thin socket to remove the bottom exhaust manifold nut at the engine?

Cory