Need some advice on bcs style mowers-zannon vs bcs (del marino)

/ Need some advice on bcs style mowers-zannon vs bcs (del marino) #11  
The Del Morino mowers have skids that have bolt holes in them. Moving the skids to different holes makes for different cutting heights. The front baffle also adjusts, but I recommend you just set it to maximum height and not move it again. There has been some concern about the reliability of Zanon mowers. That may be something to consider when buying one. Joel is bringing in a Bellon mower and I have been demoing it. It's very nice, though it's gonna get some deign tweaks.

The Berta flail mower, while more expensive, is a better unit than the rough-cut mowers from Del Morino and Zanon. That removable baffle really makes it a multipurpose mower. Put the baffle in and finely chop the waste in your spent vegetable garden or mow down a cover crop. Take the baffle out and mow paths through the woods, mow rough areas, even mow your lawn. The flail mower is shorter than a rotary mower as well. With a 32 inch rotary mower, you're also going to stick AT LEAST 32 inches out the front. This isn't much of an issue in open, flat areas, but can be a big problem in tight or rough areas.

/ Need some advice on bcs style mowers-zannon vs bcs (del marino)
I just called Joel and pulled the trigger on an 852 gas recoil, mesh cover, 5x12 tires, 26 inch berta flail mower and 26 inch delmarino brush mower (and quick couplers). Joel recommended the foam filled tires so I decided to give them a try.

He said the delmarino brush mower max cutting height is 4 inches, but I may try to mod it to run at 5 inches. Joel said the latest delmarino brush mowers come with only the single height setting, btw.

A couple other implements, including a rotary plow, might be in my future...

Last edited:
Just found out Joel doesn't have the 26" delmarino in stock so I'll have to wait until he gets them in again....

/ Need some advice on bcs style mowers-zannon vs bcs (del marino) #14  
I just called Joel and pulled the trigger on an 852 gas recoil, mesh cover, 5x12 tires, 26 inch berta flail mower and 26 inch delmarino brush mower (and quick couplers). Joel recommended the foam filled tires so I decided to give them a try.

He said the delmarino brush mower max cutting height is 4 inches, but I may try to mod it to run at 5 inches. Joel said the latest delmarino brush mowers come with only the single height setting, btw.

A couple other implements, including a rotary plow, might be in my future...

I imagine it is too late, but for the money, with 20 acres to mow, and a 13 HP motor on your tractor, you might be better off buying the 34 inch Berta flail mower (and skip the Del Marino mower altogether).

The wider the mower, the sooner you will be done.

For areas you can't get the 34" Berta into, you can maybe use a string trimmer or similar. Just my two cents.

--McKenzie

For the flattish more open areas I'll use my 42 inch cut JD riding mower and plan to get a full sized tractor with a brush hog sometime in the next year to maintain some of the not as smooth open areas.Would take too long to use the bcs, esp if I buy the additional parcel I am hoping to (40 acres).

Will use the bcs on the smaller sections, steeper parts and trails (and garden). Decided the 26 flail got me in tighter places esp for the trails which are going to be a challenge as it is.

So I might be sorry I didn't buy the bigger flail, time will tell.

/ Need some advice on bcs style mowers-zannon vs bcs (del marino) #16  
For the flattish more open areas I'll use my 42 inch cut JD riding mower and plan to get a full sized tractor with a brush hog sometime in the next year to maintain some of the not as smooth open areas.Would take too long to use the bcs, esp if I buy the additional parcel I am hoping to (40 acres).

Will use the bcs on the smaller sections, steeper parts and trails (and garden). Decided the 26 flail got me in tighter places esp for the trails which are going to be a challenge as it is.

So I might be sorry I didn't buy the bigger flail, time will tell.

Oh, OK. That makes sense. 26 inches is probably the better choice then. Anyway take care and happy mowing!

--McKenzie

Got an email from Joel, the 26 inch delmarino mower is in now so they ship my tractor and 2 mowers first thing next week.

I had hoped to be using it on the 4th, but looking forward to it nevertheless.

It's about an hour a way to pick it up -- that was the closest choice.

Got my 852 today. Because I have 26 inch mowers I thought it would come with the wheels set in narrower than the mower. Before I started changing things I called Joel real quick and he said that out wide (maybe 27 inches wide) is how most folks like them. So I'll try them that way first.

I have watched the vids and search everything I could find on quick couplers, but I don't want to admit how long it took me to work the 26 inch delmarino onto the tractor. Hopefully it will be easier next time.

Been using it a bit on openish stuff. Want to get used to the controls before I get in cramped or steep terrain. I have some concept as I have had a 730 for about 12 years with a tiller, but the size and brakes make the 852 a bit different.

/ Need some advice on bcs style mowers-zannon vs bcs (del marino) #19  
I really struggled with the quick-coupler on my 852 with Berta flail. Not sure if I was doing something wrong or it is just a bit hard sometimes to line it up right. Anyway, you are not alone!

--McKenzie

/ Need some advice on bcs style mowers-zannon vs bcs (del marino) #20  
There are a few tricks to using the quick couplers successfully. I start with my tractor in neutral and push the tractor into the implement enough that the weight of the implement holds the tractor steady (i.e- semi-coupled). Then I switch into a gear and/or apply steering brakes to keep the tractor from rolling at all. Once the tractor is immobilized, I walk around to the front of the implement and lift the implement (and the front of the tractor semi-coupled to it) so that gravity will push the male coupler/implement downward toward the female end of the tractor/quick coupler. If the implement does not slide all the way down, I twist it a bit so that the 'dogs' or teeth of the couplers line up properly. Once the implement appears fully seated in place, I set it back down and then walk to the center of the machine, and drop the coupler lever. If the pin attached to that coupler lever does not fall all the way down into the 'male' end of the implement/coupler, then I shake the whole machine until it does. Then I'm ready to go!

Also, I grease both male and female quick couplers liberally - the dogs themselves, and also through the hole on the male end of the coupler until grease is coming out. Remember, grease is cheaper than parts, and rust never sleeps.

Do these things, and using the quick couplers will be smooth.

As for brush hogs, I have both the 26" and 32" Del Morino models. They have had their problems at times, including leaky oil seals and cracked gearboxes from some combination of manufacturing defects and abuse by me, but the are reasonably easy (if not cheap!) to repair. I have mowed all kinds of multiflora rose, blackberries, small trees, grass, and far, far too many rocks with them. The Zanon looks more complex to me, and thus harder to repair I guess. If I was starting from scratch, I might have looked at the Zanon when I was in the market for my 32" for its cast iron gearbox, etc. But since the 26" and 32" Del Morino models share identical blades, bolts, and various other parts, sticking with the same brand made the most sense to me.

-otus

Last edited: