Clutch adjustment on BCS 735

/ Clutch adjustment on BCS 735 #1  

mrrog

Tractor
BCS 735, '05 KUBOTA BX 1500 LOADER
Just wondering if anyone knows the proper clutch adjustment on a BCS tiller. With the unit in one of the drive engaged positions, I would think that you should be able to move the machine freely with the clutch lever depressed while not running. Am I correct, or all wet? I haven't run the machine since I got it a few weeks ago, as I'm waiting for some parts to come in at a local dealer. Right now I'm just doing some preliminary repair work before I give it the smoke test. I'm replacing all cables and fluids, etc. Thanks to anyone with the proper information. MrRog

/ Clutch adjustment on BCS 735 #2  
The machine won't roll easily unless you have the transmission in neutral and the PTO disengaged. Even then it has resistance, especially when the transmission oil is cold.

I don't have a manual right beside me right now, but it states something like 1/4 inch side-to-side slack in the cable with the clutch engaged (handle released). That's a good starting point, but I usually adjust mine on-the-go. If the machine wants to keep going when I disengage the clutch (squeeze the handle), I give the sleeve adjustment a turn out.

/ Clutch adjustment on BCS 735
Thanks Bill, It rolls freely with everything disengaged. I just wanted to make sure that when I fire it up that it wasn't going to take off on its own. I've seen the adjustments in one of the service manuals. I should be within tolerances to just tweak the cable. I couldn't find anything anywhere that said if the unit should freewheel in gear with the clutch depressed. I waited a long time to find this machine after several less heavy duty machines made here, (Troybilt etc.) The one thing that I have found out is that the BCS is quirky. Lots of adjustments and things to watch out for. I hope that I'm observant enough to catch them all. Thanks again.