BCS flail mower transmission question

/ BCS flail mower transmission question #1  

sundogfarmer

Tractor
John Deere 1030
On the long-shot that someone out there can help me out:

I bought a used BCS 720 with a few implements. One was a flail mower (Bladerunner 60) which is broken. When engaging the PTO, there is a quiet grinding noise and no action on the pulleys or rotor. I think I've narrowed it down to a specific part: part 16 on the "Gear box - Input" page of this document: http://www.bcsamerica.com/uploads/20...ladeRunner.pdf

It's a brass brake cone that is supposed to be pushed out to engage with the shaft jaws. I think it's not engaging. Looking closely at the part it didn't look overly worn at first glance, but then I noticed that the edge of the jaws on the brass cone were beveled. I got to thinking "Maybe they SHOULDN'T be. Maybe that's supposed to be a right angle."

BCS wasn't sure. They don't have any parts here in America and are working on getting parts and drawings from Italy. That's going to take a while. In the mean time...

...does anyone out there have a BCS flail mower and the desire to see if this part on their mower has bevelling on the jaws?

/ BCS flail mower transmission question #2  
Might be. Is there any movement on the shaft for the drive pulley if you pull the belts off? How does it feel if you turn the input shaft by hand?

Aaron Z

/ BCS flail mower transmission question
Might be. Is there any movement on the shaft for the drive pulley if you pull the belts off? How does it feel if you turn the input shaft by hand?

Aaron Z

The gearbox on the tractor-side of that part feels smooth when turned by hand, and turning the shaft by hand turns the pulley smoothly, with the expected resistance from the belts. Good idea to try it running it without belts... if that part is kind of skipping along but not engaging, I might see some motion on the pulley with the belts off. I'll give that a shot when I have the chance to work on it next.

/ BCS flail mower transmission question #4  
Hello Sundog farmer,

Call Joel at Earth Tools,
I am sure he will be able to help
you much more quickly than BCS America.

Last edited: