New to 2 wheel tractor question, BCS 732 vs 853

/ New to 2 wheel tractor question, BCS 732 vs 853 #1  

double aught

Tractor
Gravely Pro-Turn
Good Monday to everyone. I was hoping that some folks with real world use can help me. I am considering a 2 wheel tractor for 2 reasons or 2 attachments at this time.
1. For use as a brush mower.
2. For use of a chipper.

I did a lot of reading on the forum this weekend and I think a sickle bar mower is best for my application. 1-2 inch hedges, vines of ivy, wisteria and general trying to take back of over grown property. I dont want to worry about rocks, stumps, etc knocking off a brushmower blade. There are houses around me, including mine and my family who is usually out with me.

So the real question comes down to a local dealer has in stock a BCS 732 with an 11hp Honda. I had in my mind the BCS 853 with the 13 hp engine was going to be better for a chipper. So for $750 and 2 hp and a chipper, will i be able to tell that big of a difference?

I don't need the tractor to be my finish mower, I have a Gravely 48" that does all the other grass.

Thanks in advance.

/ New to 2 wheel tractor question, BCS 732 vs 853 #2  
Which chipper do you plan to get? The Bio 80 and Bio 100 should work with 11 hp. The Bio 150 needs 13 hp.

/ New to 2 wheel tractor question, BCS 732 vs 853 #3  
double aught we have the 17 HP two wheel DR Field and Brush mower and it is OK up to two inch oak by going with the heavy duty blade for more weight. The deck is 30". Not sure why but it really does not throw stuff but the front is the only open place on the deck.

I know BCS is great equipment but as always a HP to much is better then a HP too little. :)

Two wheel tractors can be a work out after using a 4 wheel one but we have places that I want to bush hog that not farm tractor can go.

/ New to 2 wheel tractor question, BCS 732 vs 853 #4  
Hi Double Aught,

I would say the 853 is the best choice versus a 732. The 732 lacks the third working speed and steering brakes. If you're on hillsides much, you'll miss the steering brakes. You'll miss the third working speed a LOT if you get the sickle mower. With a single action mower, you can only run the engine at an idle or *just* above and idle. Top speed in third gear on an 853 is 2.7 mph at full throttle. The 732's top speed is 1.7 mph at full throttle. You'll lose 1/3 or so of your ground speed running at an idle. If I can add a third option, the Grillo 107d is $2800, has an 11 HP Honda, has the steering brakes like the 853, and has an even faster third gear- 3.3 mph.

I also am not sure you're gonna like a sickle mower in rough going. They're good for mowing open, smooth fields of grass for haying, but suffer a lot when taken through really rough, tangled material. You'll have a lot of broken couplers and broken sickle sections. Of course, any mower is gonna suffer if the going is really rough, but I'd consider the sickle mower the most fragile. The flail mower, while narrower can take the abuse better. It also has the advantage of being a mobile shredder. Instead of taking the material to a stationary chipper, you can shred it right on the ground as you mow.

Gale,

Sorry, but you don't need 17 hp if you don't have a bunch of belts running your equipment. The BCS and Grillo have a more efficient, more durable system to transfer power, and have many more better quality attachment options. DR doesn't really compare.

/ New to 2 wheel tractor question, BCS 732 vs 853 #5  
The BCS and Grillo have a more efficient, more durable system to transfer power, and have many more better quality attachment options.

I've got a Grillo G85 with an 8hp diesel, and it's a hoss ! Get the quick disconnect for implements if you have more than one......you'll thank yourself.

/ New to 2 wheel tractor question, BCS 732 vs 853 #6  
Gale,

Sorry, but you don't need 17 hp if you don't have a bunch of belts running your equipment. The BCS and Grillo have a more efficient, more durable system to transfer power, and have many more better quality attachment options. DR doesn't really compare.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/2-wheeled-tractors/206922-bcs-dr-ferrari-vs-chevelle.html

The DR 30" 17 HP bush hog was purchased used for $1400 because I was looking for a narrow bush hog that could handle stuff more like our 60 HP tractor and HD 6' bushhog can cut. Well it can not ride stuff down like a 10,000 pound tractor but it will get a 2" oak down to ground level.

The belt driving the HD 30" blade does not slip but there is no steel drive to snap or shear when I kill the engine on a stump, etc. As the link above states it is a work out when cutting large bushes that is beyond the ability or willingness of some. We use it to cut off fence rows where the grade and or trees prevent the use of a four wheel tractor us used to physical and or safety reasons.

As one with more than $1400 invested in your BCS I can where you are coming from. For the farmer with only a BCS tractor (around the world many would be excited to have that much tractor) I agree with your points but for a person with a farm tractor the DR bush hog can be hands down the better option in my area.

The DR return policy is a plus for those on the edge. Years ago I got a walk behind off set line trimmer but found on my hills a commercial grade line trimmer was preferred. I cleaned it up well and did what they told me to do and I got my money back without hassle. Some BCS dealers may do the same but they do not promote that feature like DR.

Most in the USA are not going to use a two wheel tractor due to the work and slowness year in and year out. The DR may stay parked for 2-3 years at a time but with a battery charge and top off the gas so far so good. One problem I see with two wheel tractors (the PO of ours included and me some day) is a HA, joint replacement, arthritis, etc comes along and bingo the two wheel tractor is just too much for our health to handle. One may still be able to get on a tractor hooked to a bush hog and knock around and keep the place looking good.

To the OP I to agree to get a two wheel model with Steering Brakes. I had a Toro with them and it was easy to control but the DR does not have them making it more work to control. It is a little more money but that diesel option in the 800 series sounds cool and should give you more traction I would think.

/ New to 2 wheel tractor question, BCS 732 vs 853 #7  
I've been shopping for a while and comparing. A DR mower doesn't hold a candle to the 853 BCS tractor, not in the same league to me. If you can afford a two wheel tractor then get one. I decided on a Grillo 107D personally. Your not limited to a mower or a chipper or a tiller.

For a chipper take a good look at the Bio-90, there is a video on line. My second choice would be the Bio-100. But if your just clearing land and then maintaining it would be over kill. You could rent or just burn piles if possible. I want a chipper for cleaning up my lake and using the mulch in the gardens and flower beds. I'm still debating if its worth the upkeep and cost. But, the Grillo 107D is a great value for what you get compared to the 853. I would get a 853 if I was going diesel, but with a Honda the 107D is the value leader.

/ New to 2 wheel tractor question, BCS 732 vs 853 #8  
I think a Grillo or BCS with attachments would be so cool to have if there was money and storage space.

/ New to 2 wheel tractor question, BCS 732 vs 853
Thanks for your replies. Certainly I know that more Horsepower is always first choice but didnt know if the 11hp to 13hp made that big a difference. What I see that might is the brakes and being able to steer. I don't have a lot of hills but where I do, it would be a nice option to have brakes and steering help instead of wrestling a 250lb machine.

AS for the Sickle Mower maybe I should take a picture of some brush I want to cut back and let you all give me some opinions on what mower attachment would work best. And maybe I still have to use my brush cutter, chainsaw and hands to clear most of it back. I'll be interested to see what opinions you all have.

As for the chipper, I would want the biggest one that can run effectively on the machine I get. If the 90 works, then that's good. If the 100, that's good too. It would seem to me that if I want to the next bigger model after the 100 that i would really "want" the biggest engine possible. And as for what I will use the chipper mostly for, that's mostly going to be chipping limbs, hedges that I cut back and maybe shredding leaves in the fall for the garden. Honestly, I see more chipping than shredding. ( OF course if shredding the leaves is really good, then i might use it equally.)

So would the Grillo 107D be a good choice? 11hp and it has the steering brakes?

/ New to 2 wheel tractor question, BCS 732 vs 853 #10  
The Bio-90 throws the chips out the top and can be directed into a wheel barrow, truck, bag or a pile. The other chippers, the 80, 100 etc. are bottom dump machines. I don't like handling material more than I have to so that is a big plus. The Bio-90 also has a better feed for limbs. Its still a small chipper and you have to remember that. 2 1/2" limbs ain't much. But, larger stuff goes in my wood heater anyway.

Yes, the Grillo 107D is an 11hp machine with steering brakes and differential. Not as big as a BCS853 but better than a BCS739. If you want the most power in this league, get a kolher diesel powered 853. I considered one, but the cost is way up there. Its hard to beat the $2800 Grillo for mowing and tilling. Not sure if I would get one as a primary chipper, even with 13 hp thats not much for chipping IMO.

Earth Tools has a good site: BCS Implements

I like the flail mower the most since its so flexible, cut the lawn, mild brush, garden mulching etc. I use a Stihl brush cutter and chain saws for clearing where I can't get my 6' 286 Bush Hog and 45 hp tractor. Even with a good size brush cutter and tractor I don't run over trees with it all the time, 2" or so is doable but very loud and rough on the cutter. Bigger than that, I use a saw. I do that to make my brush cutter last, its mostly used for deep and heavy pasture grass where you can't see whats hiding in there...