Grillo G107 Clutch

/ Grillo G107 Clutch #1  

Vilkas

Tractor
Grillo G107
I recently purchased a Grillo G107 plus a few attachments site unseen. The price was good enough that repairs/ a few parts are not too much of a concern,...I think. Well, got the engine running, tiller attachment working, dozer blade cleaned up a painted, and a little flail mower maintenance. One last problem, the clutch does not disengage.

It runs forward and backward, as well as all gears. But, I have to "pop" it into gear as the clutch does nothing (obviously it is not in full service yet as I do not want to create more damage). That is it moves whether pulled up or released; no difference. I adjusted the cable to the proper slack as well as tightening it up quite a bit. No luck.

I spoke to earthtools about it and they suggested the cable adjustment (as mentioned above). I was wondering if anyone else has come across this problem on a Grillo (found a similar thread regarding a BCS). I plan on calling ET again tomorrow as well as pulling the engine and taking a look this weekend.

If anyone can share their insights, it would be much appreciated.

/ Grillo G107 Clutch #2  
Hey Vilkas,

Welcome to the group.

I've never heard of a Grillo clutch seizing, but it may be your problem. Take the engine off the machine and the clutch off the engine. Place it in a vise and squeeze it. If it pops, that was your problem. Otherwise, you may need a new clutch or new clutch facings if the clutch material disintegrated and lodged in the housing. I've not had any of my customer's clutches fail, so I haven't been in a clutch yet. You'll need to talk to Earth Tools about procedures on rebuilding a clutch.

Good luck.

/ Grillo G107 Clutch #3  
It was probably left engaged for a long time unused and it stuck.

/ Grillo G107 Clutch
Thanks for the responses. Well, I took the clutch off and shipped it off to Earth Tools. I thought about putting it in the vise, but it was deflecting as bit and had no slack. Perhaps it can be fixed, or I may be buying a new one...

I believe it was left engaged for quite a while before I bought it.

/ Grillo G107 Clutch
Turns out the clutch was shot, beyond repair. The new clutch is on and working fine. Now the flail mower is locked up. So it goes...

/ Grillo G107 Clutch #6  
The joys of used equipment.

I bought a used chipper recently and tested it before I bought it. Even with that I had a couple small issues to resolve. But, hopefully the bargain price makes it all worth the effort...

/ Grillo G107 Clutch
Well, the flail mower is now operational. Yes is deed, the joys of used equipment. But I did get a piece by piece education for my efforts...