Newbie considering demo BCS 732 vs Grillo 107

/ Newbie considering demo BCS 732 vs Grillo 107 #1  

drdkey

Tractor
none yet
I have 3 acres of land that over time I want to convert to fruit and veg garden as well as flower meadow. I have opportunity to get a demo BCS 732 with a 26 inch tiller and electric start at about $700 off. My ground is relatively flat. My question is even though this is a good price should I still consider the Grillo 107 for the steering brakes and the additional gear?

/ Newbie considering demo BCS 732 vs Grillo 107 #2  
A new 107D with the tiller is $3350, the 85D is around $400 less. With a BCS I would go with a 853, I would definitely want steering brakes and the travel gear in case you want to mow later on. I just work soil with new 107 and the steering brakes are very nice when your tired. Just a quick squeeze and it will turn 180 with no fuss. The 732 and 739 are odd balls IMO. I thought about the 739 since my local dealer had one but, its still too much money for what you get. Why settle for the in-between model? The $700 off deal... does it include the original warranty? Whats the total price? The local dealer here only sold at full retail, a 739 with a tiller was about $4400 OTD with taxes.

The easy to remove tines are nice on the Grillo tiller, the BCS is a bit more polished. The only advantage I could see was that you could find more BCS implements used if that matters.

The 732 compares with the Grillo 85D, the 107D is just under a BCS 853 and a Grillo 131 is a hoss...

/ Newbie considering demo BCS 732 vs Grillo 107 #3  
If the BCS is anything above 8 hp, I'd get steering brakes. I bought a used Gravely 12 hp tractor. I couldn't use it until I put steering brakes on it. Impossible for my little body to steer the thing on our hills. Steering brakes also should give you a parking brake, very necessary on hills.

Ralph

/ Newbie considering demo BCS 732 vs Grillo 107
The 732 with the tiller,electric start and full warranty is $ 3699 OTD

/ Newbie considering demo BCS 732 vs Grillo 107 #5  
So that's with sales tax? Full retail on a 732 electric start and tiller is $4165. Minus $700 is $3465. Right now, you can go on BCSamerica.com and see that the 732 is on sale for $3239 with electric start. Add a 26" tiller for $615, and you've got $3751. Your discount from this dealer is actually $286.

The Grillo 107d with electric start and 27 inch tiller is $3700 plus shipping and sales tax (if you're not ag exempt). Yes, you are supposed to report out of state sales and pay the applicable tax, but most people don't... But, we're not talking apples to apples here. The 107d has a third working speed of 3.3 mph at full throttle. This is a good speed for mowing, but also a good speed for getting from place to place. You can also use transport gear to move when in tiller mode, just run the engine at and idle and brisk walk, but the transport gear isn't accessible in "mower" mode. It also has steering brakes, which can be used for sharper turning and for holding hillside while mowing. All in All, the G107d's extra options make it a more user friendly machine for not a lot more money (usually less, but you're looking at a demo machine).

The direct competitor to the 732 is the G85d. Like the 732, it has two working speeds and no steering brakes. Earth Tool's doesn't offer it on thier site, but you can buy the 11hp engine with electric start on the G85d for around $2850. Add $550 for a 27 inch tiller, and you have the direct competitor to the 732 for $3400 plus shipping and tax - $65 less than the demoed 732.

You can save quite a bit more if you don't really *need* electric start. It adds $350 to the cost. a G85d with 11 hp Honda recoil start with 27 inch tiller is $3150. Unless you are planning on running much more power hungry attachments like a chipper or a flail mower, you also don't really *need* 11 Hp. The G85d with recoil start 9 hp Subaru and 27 inch tiller is $2775.

I guess I went the Loooooong way around to say that I don't think that 732 is a good value.

/ Newbie considering demo BCS 732 vs Grillo 107 #6  
I had to travel to get my Grillo, it was a hard decision since I usually go with the local dealers with the BCS. But its best to get what you really want, so there is no buyer's remorse.

They are great machines though, for use as tillers I was amazed how much better they are compared to Troy-Bilts and such. I just broke up ground for a winter garden and its at least three times faster than my old machine. I ended up getting a Grillo and used the savings to get a 5" BX-60 PTO chipper for my Kubota over in GA... I like the combo.

/ Newbie considering demo BCS 732 vs Grillo 107
thanks for the great information. I am going ahead with the 107. I have a few additional questions. the ground that I am going to be working on has never been broken up before. Will the 27 inch tiller be enough or do I need to consider a rotary plow? What do you recommend for flat ground mowing? It has to be tough enough to help me control a bamboo grove that I am going to work on this winter to kill and it needs to be able to cut the new shoots?
Thanks

/ Newbie considering demo BCS 732 vs Grillo 107 #8  
Tillers do an acceptable job breaking ground, but the rotary plow does a fantastic job. The rotary plow will break soil to full depth in one pass where a tiller will take 3 or more passes. It also will make raised beads, will dig an 8 inch deep 10 inch wide trench for installation of drianage tiller or irrigation, and will hill your potatoes. BUT it's $1200. If you're gonna use it alot, go for it. If you think you're gonna use it once, it may be too expensive (though I suspect you'll find uses for it).

I have never mowed bamboo, but I tried to mow a willow copse with my 6' Skidpro mower on my John Deere 317 and it didn't go well. The willow would just tip right over and wrap up around the mower assembly. If bamboo is anything like willow, the rotary mower isn't gonna handle it. As long as it's under 3/4 inch, and you take plenty of time, the flail mower *should* do it. I'd prefer someone who knows something about bamboo steps up to this question.

/ Newbie considering demo BCS 732 vs Grillo 107 #9  
It all depends on how thick and dense it is. If its thickly rooted in and well established I would have it plowed up. I wouldn't abuse a tiller in bamboo. They make plows for two wheeled tractors, might try a mold board to break that kind of ground. Many times its best to have a new area plowed up by a neighbor or some local and save your energy for maintenance after the initial clearing. But it all depends on the actual situation. I've reclaimed rough ground with a rototiller many times and it was hard work.

We have 3" and bigger bamboo here and its a challenge to get rid of, you really need a turning plow. Get the roots all exposed and kill them with herbicide, like a concentrate Round Up. Then till it all under a few times. Let the stems rot and get soft and till it again. You have to kill the root system off or it will keep coming back. I've bush hogged a whole area and sprayed it to have it come back in a month. Gotta plow it all up and get the roots and then never let it get going again.

/ Newbie considering demo BCS 732 vs Grillo 107 #10  
It all depends on how thick and dense it is. If its thickly rooted in and well established I would have it plowed up. I wouldn't abuse a tiller in bamboo. They make plows for two wheeled tractors, might try a mold board to break that kind of ground. Many times its best to have a new area plowed up by a neighbor or some local and save your energy for maintenance after the initial clearing. But it all depends on the actual situation. I've reclaimed rough ground with a rototiller many times and it was hard work.

We have 3" and bigger bamboo here and its a challenge to get rid of, you really need a turning plow. Get the roots all exposed and kill them with herbicide, like a concentrate Round Up. Then till it all under a few times. Let the stems rot and get soft and till it again. You have to kill the root system off or it will keep coming back. I've bush hogged a whole area and sprayed it to have it come back in a month. Gotta plow it all up and get the roots and then never let it get going again.