Another newbie (to 2-wheel tractors) asking for opinions on new setup

/ Another newbie (to 2-wheel tractors) asking for opinions on new setup #1  

fclick

Hope it's okay to start a new thread that is similar to drdkey's thread - I am considering a similar setup, but for a slightly different application.

I'm on 13 acres of primarily wooded, hilly land in western NC. My house is seated in the middle on 3 acres consisting of grass and fruit trees. I've been managing it with a small Kubota, but the slopes and narrow trails really limit my use. I think a 2-wheel tractor could really improve my situation.

I spoke to Joel at Earth Tools, and he convinced me my best bet is probably a Grillo 107d. My question has to do with implements.

Ideally I'll use this to manage (and ultimately expand) two small (5-600 sq. feet) garden plots, mow a sloped orchard (not picky about the finish quality of the mowing), maintain trails, and, most importantly, cut back blackberries and brush growing along my (sloped) fence line. I'm thinking the smartest (and most economical) way to go is a tiller and a Berta Franco flail mower. Am I off base here?

Given my narrow trails and slopes, and the size of my beds, I'm thinking I should go narrow with both implements...I'd rather be able to take it more places and make more passes...And frankly, there are few paces on my land where I could make more than two passes with the mower without getting too close to a drop off. I'd appreciate any input, especially from folks who have used these tractors to clear blackberry thickets and/or work on slopes.

Thanks. I've read through this forum, and the existing information has been so helpful.

/ Another newbie (to 2-wheel tractors) asking for opinions on new setup #2  
I have a 722 BCS with both a tiller and a sickle mower. It was the best purchase I have ever made. I have slopes that exceed 30% that I mow with. In a pinch I mowed over ten acres of field one year when the person who insisted he wanted the hay did not show up. My only regret is I did not upgrade to the 8 series because of increased ground speed for mowing.

/ Another newbie (to 2-wheel tractors) asking for opinions on new setup #3  
Well the 107D runs a small flail mower anyway, there is only one Berta Flail size for the 107D I think.

Don't have steep slopes here but, I do climb creek banks and such. If you have traction it will climb, my 107D brakes have good modulation. I find I use the 107 more than I expected even though I have a 4x4 tractor too. Its nice to have good control in tight places. If I get a mower it will be a flail, very useful item, chops leaves, cuts grass, cuts mild bushes etc. Nice and flexible.

/ Another newbie (to 2-wheel tractors) asking for opinions on new setup #4  
Hey Fclick,

Sounds like you've got a good handle on what you need, but a couple thoughts - I think I'd stick with buying the 27 inch tiller because you can adjust it down narrower if you need to, but will need to buy parts to make a 22" bigger if you end up wanting to. The difference between a 22 inch and a 27 inch is $50. The parts cost is closer to $100. The 26" Berta flail mower is a good fit. If you're on very steep hillsides, make sure you adjust the wheels out to maximum width for better stability. You may benefit from upsizing to 5X12-22 inch tires. The flail mower doesn't tend to hang up as bad as the rotary mowers, but more clearance is always a good thing. Th taller tires will increase ground speed and slightly change the angle of attack, though.

/ Another newbie (to 2-wheel tractors) asking for opinions on new setup #5  
Hi there-

I have hilly land and my BCS 853 with steering brakes handles it well. I have both a 26" brush mower and the 5' double-action sickle. Most of what I cut is sloped pasture, so the obvious choice there for time-sake is the sickle. There were some edges around my property that were a bit rough with overgrowth (and the occasional old broken off t-post sticking a few inches out of the ground), that once cleared with the brush mower, I now use the sickle to keep down. It's just so much faster because of the width. Also, the sickle is good for getting underneath things (fences, trees, etc).

I know the sickle has gone some what out of fashion in general out there and your narrow trials just might not be a good fit for one, but thought I'd mention some of the advantages that have worked for me.

They do make narrower widths that may work better for your situation and another thing, since they don't seem to be the in-thing, I've seen them come up pretty cheap out there.

/ Another newbie (to 2-wheel tractors) asking for opinions on new setup
Thanks for all of the replies...Especially the recommendations for the 27" tiller and the sickle mower. I think we'll start out with a flail mower, but if we ever manage to get the blackberries under control, the sickle mower looks like a better, faster alternative for us.

I really appreciate all of the feedback...I only wish I'd found out about 2-wheeled tractors before I went down the 4-wheeled path.

I'll touch base once I get a machine...I think they're on backorder, so there may be a delay.

Thanks again,
Felix

/ Another newbie (to 2-wheel tractors) asking for opinions on new setup #7  
I don't have a two wheeled tractor but have farmed for years. A sickle mower will cut blackberries, it just wont chop them up.:2cents: