How / Where to sell BCS 853?

/ How / Where to sell BCS 853? #1  

madRazor

Tractor
LS R4047h
Hey, we have recently acquired more land, and have stepped up to a 4 wheeled tractor. The BCS has been great for our 1 acre market garden, but with multiple more acres on the near horizon, it is a bit too much wear and tear on the machines (especially my body) to work that much land.

So, I feel like a bit of a traitor, but I am wondering what the market is like for selling my used 2009 BCS 853 and attachments (71" double action cutter bar, 30" flail mower, 30" tiller, rotary plow). I have posted it all on craigslist, but whenever I used to search for bcs-type stuff on craigslist, it would be slim pickings. So I can't say I am expecting much activity from that source.

So is ebay a good option? Any kind of local shops or BCS dealers? Something else? I got all this stuff from earthtools and they have been great, but they did not want to buy anything back. They might have been open to a store credit type of exchange, but I didn't press them since my conversation with them took place before I knew I wanted to sell. I suppose I would be open to a trade-down exchange, maybe I should check with them.

I don't know the exact policy for these boards wrt posting ads, so I apologize if this is be considered spamming the board with an ad for my stuff; that is not my intent...

Thanks for any advice!

/ How / Where to sell BCS 853? #2  
I shop for stuff on Craigs List all the time, so its my first stop for selling stuff, then Ebay. But Ebay is pricey, I always try selling in my local papers and a we have a couple sale books, The Swapper and the Buy / Sell.

I have tractors and a Grillo. Both have their purpose. I couldn't imagine wanting to sell a REAL rototiller. I cultivate with mine, ain't no way I can use the tractor once the garden plots are growing well. But, I don't use weed killers and I hate fighting weeds. So the two wheel tractor is used often for weed and grass control. Plus I can squeeze it in between good rows and make a new seed bed when needed. Sometimes a row gets damaged or the seed fails, cant get the 40hp Kubota in there and I much rather soil prep with a two wheeler than a hoe in my hands! Also you can get under fence lines with a BCS with a sickle mower and not damage anything. Nope, I can't see me ever wanting to sell my two wheeler. I use it often, it preps soil for small seed much better than my bigger stuff. Although I do the initial ground breaking, winter cover crops, lime spreading, turning plow work when needed, sub soiler etc. with the regular tractors. But, two wheel machines are a big part of my operation once things are growing.

/ How / Where to sell BCS 853?
I agree about them having a place for me going forward, but I don't need an 853 to do those things. I would be open to somehow trading down.. but with the market for used 2-wheeled so thin apparently, I guess trading down wouldn't really net me anything...

Are there any types of shops that would like to have a used machine? Any other ideas?

/ How / Where to sell BCS 853? #4  
CL is actually a good place to list a BCS. Lots of people looking for a good used one, but lotsa people also looking for a steal. Nearly all of my machines and attachments came of CL.

On top of that, I'd contact Earth Tools. They have a Bulletin Board that you can pay to place an ad on. They also may be able to direct a buyer to you

/ How / Where to sell BCS 853? #5  
Remember that there are several websites that compile craigslist ads. Your audience will be nationwide.

Good luck

/ How / Where to sell BCS 853? #7  
As someone in Western NC who just bought a new Grillo because I couldn't find a suitable used 2-wheel tractor, I agree with the others that Craigslist is a good place to be. I watched and inquired there for months before I made my purchase; the lack of inventory was why I ultimately bought elsewhere. I suspect you'll get a lot of inquiries...I know a lot of folks in Western NC who are looking for something similar to what you have who would gladly make the drive to pick it up.

Good luck!

/ How / Where to sell BCS 853?
As someone in Western NC who just bought a new Grillo because I couldn't find a suitable used 2-wheel tractor, I agree with the others that Craigslist is a good place to be. I watched and inquired there for months before I made my purchase; the lack of inventory was why I ultimately bought elsewhere. I suspect you'll get a lot of inquiries...I know a lot of folks in Western NC who are looking for something similar to what you have who would gladly make the drive to pick it up.

Good luck!

Thanks, I am the same way, looking at craigslist for everything. Perhaps I need to get off my lazy butt and put some pictures on the craigslist ad. Also, send those western NC folks my way! :D

/ How / Where to sell BCS 853? #10  
Thanks, I am the same way, looking at craigslist for everything. Perhaps I need to get off my lazy butt and put some pictures on the craigslist ad. Also, send those western NC folks my way! :D

I will point them to this thread when I see them. It might be worth listing in the Asheville craigslist too - we have a lot of small farms on sloped land around here...I can't get my 4-wheel tractor on 60% of my property due to the slopes; hence the recent 2-wheel tractor purchase...