852 or 853

/ 852 or 853 #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
I would really like to up grade from my 725. I love the 725, but not having the differential and brakes sometimes is a challenge. If I upgrade, the equipment I am interested in would be a rotary plow and a flail mower. I currently have tiller, snowblower, grader blade, sicklebar mower, and my favorite, a barrow for the 725. Issues I have other than steering is speed in the push mode. I have the larger tires, but I would like to go just a little faster. So, which would be better, 853 or 852? can the 852 do a good job with the rotary plow and tiller, or is the push speed on the 853 any faster than the 725. I don't want to run, just walk a little faster. Future may include a finish mower. Not really concerned about diesel or gas, either would be ok. So, I do use the pull type implements, but I also push a lot, particularly with the power barrow--852 or 853??

/ 852 or 853 #2  
Hey CM,

The only difference between the 852 and 853 is the direction of transport speed. The 852 may also have longer handlebars. Otherwise, the working speeds in either direction are the same - .7mph, 1.7 mph, 2.7mph.

With your powerbarrow, I'd say you're better off with the 852. It has the transport gear in "mower" mode. You can push your barrow in fourth gear at an idle when not loaded or going up hills - less fuel consumed and less engine noise. If you had a pull-behind wagon, I'd recommend the 853. All other attachments work exactly the same on either model.

If you don't mind used, the next generation machine to your 725 is the 605/737. 605 has transport in "mower" mode, 737 in "tiller". Next up from there (and it gets you the 3 dog PTO) is the 830/850. Both had transport in "mower" mode. Only difference is the 830 came with smaller engines.

/ 852 or 853
Farmerboybill,
My concern was with the speeds in the push mode, partly because I didn't know what the speeds of the 725 are. So I measured a couple of the speeds, with a GPS (that was interesting) and found that the push speed in high range was about 1.7 mph, which is just a little slower than I like. In the pull mode, 4th gear is about 2.7 mph, maybe just a little faster. That is about the speed I can handle. That tells me that the working gears on the 853/852 would work just fine, with the top speed in 3rd about 2.7 mph. I have never used the transport gear on the 725, and not real sure I would need or want to. Much faster than 2.5-3 mph means I have to jog--not going to happen :) So, because I am interested in a rotary plow and a flail mower to go with the rest of my equipment, I think the 853 would be a good choice. You mentioned used equipment, and I tend to go that way on most equipment, especially durable stuff like the BCS. SO now at least I am a little more confidant in knowing what I am really looking for.. I think you mentioned in another post you had an 853. let me know the particulars- cmyoung_2@hotmail.com