A bcs by any other name....

/ A bcs by any other name.... #1  

JoeyVegies

Tractor
Fiat 150
Hi, longtime lurker, first time poster.

I am looking to buy a 2 wheel tractor and very much hoping to get some of your expertise.

Here in Australia I have found 3 companies who import BCS tractors. There is one company selling the yellow Pasquali branded tractors, one selling the green Ferraris and one that sells a few blue BCS branded tractors and some pasqualis. I can't figure out which model numbers are equivalent to American imports so it's been a bit difficult to use online reviews and info.

From American BCS info it seems something similar to the 853 could be for me. I am hoping to work mainly with a berta rotary plow and a power harrow. I guess a flail mower would not be out of the question in the future. Would one of the bigger models with weights (equivalent to 948) be better?

I am a bit concerned about weight and balance as I have used 2 wheel tractors a bit as a worker on other farms and often found them hard to manoeuvre. Surely if they're set up well it can be as easy as in the videos??

So... Any advice as to what I should look for in specs would be great. Listings mainly cover engine type, HP, speeds and if they come with diff lock.

Also interested in any advice about wheel size and spacing.

If anyone is interested these are the three local dealers and their listings:
Pasqualis : BCS/Pasquali Two Wheel Tractors | Vin Rowe Farm Machinery
Ferraris: 2 Wheel Tractors Archives | *Mirco Bros Machinery, Australia*Mirco Bros Machinery, Australia
BCS and Pasqualis:
Murwillumbah Mower and Chainsaws Centre

With many thanks

Last edited:
   / A bcs by any other name.... #2  
I had a 12 hp Gravely. Could not handle it until I got steering brakes and installed them. Could then steer it even on a hill side with one hand on the steering handle. Had a parking brake function, too. Without the brakes, you don't even have a parking brake.

Don't know whether the BCS can be had with steering brakes, but I'll bet they're an option.

Ralph

/ A bcs by any other name.... #3  
If you decided on a 853 than you want the transport speed in the mowing mode. Your links didn't come up well on my phone, but comparing wheel speed specs would be the best way to proceed. Check the earthtools site do the 853 and compare with your options.

Good luck.

I like the yellow paint scheme.

/ A bcs by any other name....
I had a 12 hp Gravely. Could not handle it until I got steering brakes and installed them. Could then steer it even on a hill side with one hand on the steering handle.
Thanks Ralph, the brochure says "the drum brakes are controlled separately on the two wheels" so I guess that mean steering brakes?

/ A bcs by any other name.... #5  
Those are steering brakes.

/ A bcs by any other name.... #6  
Thanks Ralph, the brochure says "the drum brakes are controlled separately on the two wheels" so I guess that mean steering brakes?

We have a Ferrari 340. When it says "the drum brakes are controlled separately on the two wheels" that model has a differential and so the parking brake operates on both wheels it does not have steering brakes. Our 2 wheel tractor has steering brakes they are handy but I don't use them all the time. The Australian models don't have a transport speed so they only go about 6km/hr at 2/3 throttle. Where in NSW are you?

/ A bcs by any other name.... #7  
I am a bit concerned about weight and balance as I have used 2 wheel tractors a bit as a worker on other farms and often found them hard to manoeuvre. Surely if they're set up well it can be as easy as in the videos?

Our two wheel tractor has the diesel engine and a 80cm rotary hoe (you can't buy them in Australia with out a rotary hoe I don't think) it has very good balance there is a point where both the hoe and the engine are off the ground, whereas I used another smaller petrol one and the engine is a lot lighter and so they are not well balanced. The rotary plow weighs about the same as the 80cm hoe so it would be well balanced to. If you want to talk just PM me.

Last edited:
Thanks Ferrari, I am in the Hawkesbury. You?

That's good to know about the 340. I had read that the Yanmar engine was not a good fit for balance, but if you find it to be ok that's good. I'm confused about what you mean about both the hoe and the wheels being off the ground... That sounds like it's floating!

To be honest, both two wheelers that I have used have been fitted up with spacers and they are so big and heavy and long they really make it difficult to work. I'm thinking with a plough things will be a lot easier.

Do you have any other implements or just the tiller?

Interesting about the lack of transport speed here, but not much I can do about that it seems.

/ A bcs by any other name.... #9  
Hi JoeyVegies :)

You are right about the model names on the 3 different tractor brands. I had exactly the same problem as you, as I was looking for a 2-wheeled tractor 3 years ago.

The 3 brands you mention, used to be 3 different independent Italian manufacturers until 1988, when Ferrari was acquired by BCS. In 1999, Pasquali also became part of the BCS Group. Probably for marketing reasons, BCS has decided to keep all 3 brands, although most of them are identical, except for the green, yellow or blue plastic bits. Here in Germany, I have seen the Ferrari and BCS models, whereas the Pasquali models are rare. I have the impression, that the Pasquali brand is especially popular in Eastern Europe and in Spanish-speaking countries.

Why BCS has chosen to give identical models different names puzzles me, but looking in my Ferrari and BCS brochures and the home page of BCS America, this is the best comparison I can come up with:

Ferrari 310 = BCS 710 (US-model 712) = Pasquali TB 10
Ferrari 320 = BCS 720 (US-model 718) = Pasquali SB 28, replacing SB 20
Ferrari 330 = BCS 730 (US-model 732) = Pasquali SB 38, replacing SB 30
Ferrari 340 = BCS 740 (US-model 853 & 749PS) = Pasquali XB 40
Ferrari 360 = BCS 746 (US-model 750PS) = Pasquali XB 50

The BCS tractors sold in the US are a bit different to the ones sold elsewhere, as I understand. They have longer handlebars, and up to the very latest models, had a cone-type clutch instead of the hydraulic PowerSafe clutch. Please also note that all the PowerSafe models have no transport gear like many cone-type models have. In fact they do, but it has been blocked for safety reasons!

I hope some of our US-friends can tell us more?

Best regards

Jens

Thanks Jens,
That is a very helpful!

I had figured out the Pasquali to Ferrari conversion but was stumped on the BCS. I still am a bit confused because there are some differences with which engines are supplied with different models but at least I have the basics figured out now.

I am guessing when it comes time to buy my choice will be whether to get the 360( 750)XB 50 with the speed reduction and stronger PTO join or the 340 (853) XB 40 which I think will be lighter and somewhat more affordable. Without the travelling speed it is less appealing.

It's interesting that the XB 50 is available with a lombardini diesel 11HP or 12 HP where the BCS is only supplied with a honda petrol.