Deciding whether or not to buy this tractor

/ Deciding whether or not to buy this tractor #1  

Tangwystel

Tractor
Just looking
Hi all,

I saw this Craigslist ad and was wondering if people thought this was worthwhile. I've been looking for a BCS to do large areas of tilling on my farm and also to cut a horrible amount of stickweed that has totally infested our pastures. Our pastures are very steep and we thought a two wheeled tractor would be a good way to mow them (tell me if I'm wrong).

My husband is fair with engines, but not an expert by any means. We were hoping for an 853 but we can't afford a new one, so I've been haunting Craigslist.

Any thoughts? The owner says it runs but needs maintenance. Pros/cons?

Natasha

/ Deciding whether or not to buy this tractor #2  
Hi, approx. How much land are you going to try to mow with it?

/ Deciding whether or not to buy this tractor
It would be the problem sections of about 2 acres. We have 55 acres but most of it is forest, and we would also like to use the BCS to maintain the forest paths.

I also have the option of a Grillo 85d.

/ Deciding whether or not to buy this tractor #5  
The 735 isn't going to be the best option for mowing. It only has two speeds in mower mode. They are operated with a short second shifter that sticks out toward the implement, so not very accessible for quick shifts. The 735 is a very good machine, but better suited for rear mount implements or very limited mowing.

You may want to hunt down a BCS 737, 605, 830, or 850 if you're looking for used. If looking for new, the 852/853 or the Grillo 107d would be the best bet for large area mowing. All these machines have a third working speed that is more suitable for faster mowing. The 107d has the fastest at 3.3 mph at full throttle.

/ Deciding whether or not to buy this tractor #6  
Don't know how far you want to travel but there are a few options in the Carolinas on Craigslist right now. A grillo 85 in Statesboro, NC with a flail mower and a few other implements for 3000. Also an old fixer upper Acme diesel BcS 735 in Spartanburg, Sc for 500. Also, in Charleston a nearly new diesel BCS 853 with a bunch of implements for 8500. Don't know if this helps or not but thought I'd chime in with a few more options to muddy the works.

/ Deciding whether or not to buy this tractor #7  
HipT,

I never found the Grillo, but here's your sickle mower on a 604. I find the 604 to be a very desirable machine as it has the 4 working speeds in mower mode. But, they do not have handlebars that rotate, so no tillage attachments. I'd love to own one for myself, but they're very hard to come by.

bcs sheer machine

I have an email in about the Grillo, it seems to be the best choice - I'd LOVE the 853 of course, it's my dream machine, but I don't have a spare $8500 right now! I could swing the $3000.

And - as far as travel goes that depends. I have a Mercury Villager van and a F-150 which is farm use rated, I hate to drive the farm use truck too far, but I could probably get away with it for one trip. I don't know if a tractor would fit in the villager. What do you think? If the tractor would fit in the Villager, I would travel up to about 12 hours for the right machine.

Yeah, I didn't think about that one since it seems to be in such rough shape. I'll keep looking for a 604 though.

/ Deciding whether or not to buy this tractor #10  
You might also want to consider a used 2-wheel Gravely walk behind. I would go with one that has the Kohler engine on it rather than the older integrated Gravely engine. They started putting the Kohlers on them in the late 70's or early 80's. While this would be an older machine, they are super rugged!! I have one that's about an '83 or '84 and it's still going strong. The problem that I have with it now is that my tires are dry-rotted.

Anyway, for mowing what you're describing, you'll want the 30" brush-hog attachment with the heavy blade. They make a regular "mower blade" that's about 1/8" thick that fits on the attachment but you'll want the brush hog blade that is either 1/4" or 3/8" thick. I've used mine to cut through 2" saplings and honeysuckle and it doesn't miss a beat!!