Troy Bilt Horse 1 question

/ Troy Bilt Horse 1 question #1  

Artjr

Tractor
Troy Bilt Horse 1
Hello, I have an older Horse 1 only has forward and reverse and fast and slow speeds and two belts. I believe that makes it a Horse 1. I have a few questions about it. It runs like a top and I had two new belts put on it. Here are my questions.

1. what type of oil for the engine? 30W Detergent? How much does it hold?
2. What type of oil for transmission? W and type and how much does it hold?
3. Where can I get new tines for it?
4. It seems to be in really good shape is there anything I should look for?
5. How can I find out when it was made?
6. Can you change the "Turf" tires for the tractor type tires? If so do you have to change the wheels?

Whew!! I know a lot of questions and probably have a ton more....Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thank You Art:confused2::confused2::confused2:

/ Troy Bilt Horse 1 question #2  
Which engine? they came with Briggs, Kohlers or Techsemsuhs.

Don't remember trans oil off hand, but think it was gear oil. Not sure if it had to be yellow metal safe, but possibly so.

There are various internet sellers that have tines and Ebay. USA made were stronger than chinese junk.

Post picture-might be able to give rough idea of when made.

Turf tires should be changeable to bar treads if you wish. They were a common size.

/ Troy Bilt Horse 1 question
Thanks it has the Tecumseh I think 660H I will check it tomorrow

/ Troy Bilt Horse 1 question #4  
Tecumseh HH60 was the standard engine. Should use 30 wt oil. Gearbox used the extra heavy weight gear lube. I forget the exact designation but it ended in 135 wt. Check for gear oil leakage at the axle and tine shaft seals. That was common. When you are servicing it, remember to lube the pins the engine slides up and down on and also the roller at the end of the engagement lever.

/ Troy Bilt Horse 1 question #5  
I have an old Troy Bilt horse just like you describe and its 29 years old. It has a Briggs/Straton 8hp engine. I use 10-30 wt detergent oil in the engine and 80-90 wt gear lube in the transmission. How much oil/gear lube - until it runs out the fill hole. I know you can obtain new tines from any dealer that sells Troy Bilt. With the serial number the Troy Bilt dealer may be able to look up the date of manufacture or you might be able to find this info on the Troy Bilt web site. Ag tires should easily fit the rims that are on the tiller now.

The only thing that needs replacing on mine is the external "back up sprocket/pulley". The fibre material on this sprocket has worn down to the point that it is next to impossible to engage and reverse the tiller. I haven't changed it out because it just as easy to continue on forward and make a turn for a return pass. You can make a determination on this by simply pulling the forward/reverse lever into reverse and see what happens. It should immediately go into reverse. If it doesn't then you can replace the "backup sprocket" or do like I do. My old Horse has seen hundreds & hundreds of hours breaking ground and grinding up my garden site and it still goes on --------- I have replaced the drive belts once and one new spark plug. They just do not make equipment like this anymore.