BCS 852 - Hand Grips ?

/ BCS 852 - Hand Grips ? #1  

PhilG327

Bronze Member
Tractor
BCS 852
Has anyone found a nice replacement for the OEM hand grips on the BCS mowers/tillers ? Bike grips are too small diameter and I was hoping to replace mine with some nice soft gel style grips after a bout of "trigger finger" last fall and all winter (until I had injections in both hands). Suggestions are welcome !

/ BCS 852 - Hand Grips ? #2  
Can't help you on the grips question specifically, but I can suggest some alternatives. Having experienced a bout of carpal tunnel last year, I finally came around to starting using work gloves. Even a relatively thin layer of leather provides an impressive increase in comfort and cushioning when using the standard grips (and all wood-handled hand tools, etc). I just buy the cheapest full-grain (i.e- not suede) pigskin, goat, or cow hide gloves I can find (the Northern Tool store near me has had the best prices), but of course there are options that have even more padding.

Something else you could try is to wrap your existing grips with leather (like sold for steering wheel wraps) or coban tape. The coban is probably less durable than leather, but a few layers of it provides a nice cushion, and it's easy to apply. The coban I bought was through a gun supply place and came in camo pattern (McNett was the brand I think) sold for wrapping stocks and hand grips, but my wife tells me that gymnasts and cheerleaders also use coban to wrap ankles and wrists, so you can probably find it at athletic supply places too.

-otus

/ BCS 852 - Hand Grips ?
Thanks for the suggestions. If there was an icon for egg on my face I would use it here. Moved my BCS in the barn today and realized the left grip is completely covered by the dead man's throttle ! No obvious way to put any gel grips on it at all... Doh. I will try my bike gloves next - don't even have to buy a new pair.

/ BCS 852 - Hand Grips ? #4  
Hey Phil,

I'll be in La Farge on tuesday. Got an egg meeting. Then I'm going up to Ontario to look at buying a Ford 9700.

/ BCS 852 - Hand Grips ?
To Farmerboybill:
Sorry, I've been off-line since I posted this request - computer troubles. I plan to try the gel bike gloves this weekend. Hope you enjoyed your trip to La Farge. Bought eggs this morning at Woodmans - Organic Valley Large - any of yours ?