Compost turner.

/ Compost turner. #1  

ferrari99

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200, Ferrari 340
What do you think about getting a tiller gearbox and turning it into a compost turner like the big ones but on a small scale?

/ Compost turner.
Compost turner...png

/ Compost turner. #3  
Never seen one before - how is it supposed to work?

/ Compost turner. #4  
Great idea. If you look on YouTube the videos are impressive for compost turnersI don't think a 2 wheel machine could tow or push one side like a 4 wheel tractor, (see YouTube videos) but maybe ride on top of the compost pile?

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Compost turner.
Never seen one before - how is it supposed to work?
The drum has flails mounted to it (not on the model) which are spiraled round the drum, to one side of center they are anti-clockwise to the other clockwise. So the compost on the outside gets 'sucked' to the middle and middle goes to the outside so eventually all the material gets a turn in the middle (the hottest point). Hope that helps.

/ Compost turner. #7  
I usta have a book called "The Joy of Gardening" by Dick Raymond. It was really just one big promotional for Troy Bilts. It showed his idea of composting between two sheets of plywood. You'd pound several posts in the ground 6 or so inches wider than the tiller. Then, you rip a sheet of plywood lengthwise and wire them to the inside of the stakes. It's not the ideal size for a compost pile (2X2X8 versus 3X3X3), but it was in a book heavily promoting a troy-bilt, so it must be true....

/ Compost turner. #8  
I turned piles yesterday. The fel works fine, "Turning" consists of up ending the pile about it's own base. Lift and dump, lift and dump. So now the pile is ten feet to the right of where it was. Next time, I'll tip it back ;-)

/ Compost turner.
I turned piles yesterday. The fel works fine, "Turning" consists of up ending the pile about it's own base. Lift and dump, lift and dump. So now the pile is ten feet to the right of where it was. Next time, I'll tip it back ;-)
I agree that a FEL works fine but it doesn't help if you don't have one.

/ Compost turner.
I don't think a 2 wheel machine could tow or push one side like a 4 wheel tractor, (see YouTube videos) but maybe ride on top of the compost pile?

Good luck
You could take the wheel off and 'divert' the drive to the wheel on the other side of the turner.