Grillo 107d Fuel Usage

/ Grillo 107d Fuel Usage #1  

noahchardy

Tractor
None yet!
I am looking to buy a Grillo 107d soon. I am trying to decide if a gas or diesel is a better option, either I don't know the right search terms to put in or people don't post their mpg! Earthtools says diesel uses 1/2 to 1/3 of gas, but not what that means. Are we talking 1 gallon per hour, or 10? Its hard to decide if the diesel price is worth it when I can't figure my fuel usage.
We will be using the tractor for clearing hunting land that has been untended for 40 years to workable land, as well as keeping 1/2 mile of drive clear, and probably for the occasional ride down the road when we feel lazy. Thoughts on economy here? We are in the northern lower Michigan, so the snow and cold are significant considerations. I also know a lot more about gas engines than diesels, but can always learn.

/ Grillo 107d Fuel Usage #2  
Hi! Hi! I have a Grillo 107d with Honda GX340 11 HP. Easy to start, quiet take about two liters hour(half gal.) I have also a BCS 735 Diesel with Acme 377 cc 8.8 HP Hard to start with hand rope Noisy. take about one liter hour .For long job i use the diesel for fuel economy. but for short job i prefer my Grillo.
IF you plan use over 200 hrs yearly may be a diesel.
For me small diesel engine are too expensive to buy. You need 1000 hrs for pay the engine. Diesel engine are very reliable and easy to service. No sparkplug no electronic module. no carburator no float less trouble.
For winter I use the Grillo with snowblower. Diesel need heat for start. Good luck! Oldmech

/ Grillo 107d Fuel Usage #3  
Hi and welcome to the forum. I bought a g107 earlier this year and love it.i havent put a lot of time on mine but i would say your fuel usage will depend on how hard its getting worked. I only have the 27" tiller for mine and it is in no way straining it. So maybe tilling hard ground it would use .4-.5 gal an hour. Cultivating between the rows, at the most half throttle, just sips fuel.

The honda engine is very nice, effortless starting, quiet and powerful.

/ Grillo 107d Fuel Usage #4  
I can run my tiller all day without running out of fuel with the 11 hp Honda. I rarely run it more than 8 hours in a day, haven't ran it out as long as I top it up in the morning.

The main issue with the diesel is cost, it would take many, many, many hours to pay for the difference in fuel savings. Then you have the added noise. On the Grillo the diesel option is not that powerful either. When going diesel the BCS brand would provide a more powerful and useful set up. I personally like the 107D size better though as a cultivator and mowing machine. I guess diesel would be best if your making your own fuel and running it 8 hours a day all summer. But, it takes years for me to wear out a gasoline engine. At that point, its still cheaper to just mount up another Honda and run for a few more years. For my use, I can't justify diesel power. I have diesel trucks and always buy larger diesel tractors, but my small engines are all gasoline. Gasoline power is usually best cost wise. Although the bio-diesel fuel does appeal to me, just not good on the budget.