Shifting Forward/Reverse Unintentionally... Repeatedly!

/ Shifting Forward/Reverse Unintentionally... Repeatedly! #1  

TrapperJo

Tractor
Kubota/BCS
Alright. Feeling really dumb or clumsy here. Is the following common for others?

I have been doing a lot of mowing with the BCS 853. Last week I stumbled on a branch and my right hand smacked the red direction lever and threw it forward which kicked the tractor into reverse which nearly caused me to soil myself. The last part was not really true but was added for effect. It did surprise the heck out of me through.

Anyway today I was minding my own business, mowing while listening to some Band Perry on my earbuds and hit that darn lever three times while moving my hand to swat Mosquitos.

Anyone else do this repeatedly? Not swat mosquitoes but hit the red shift lever while moving your right hand...

Thinking of strapping that lever in place as this has become somewhat habitual.

TJ

/ Shifting Forward/Reverse Unintentionally... Repeatedly! #2  
Been there myself. It is frightening to have the tractor suddenly backing into you. I have to keep my mind focused and my hand on the clutch when using my beast (853).
Bill in NC

/ Shifting Forward/Reverse Unintentionally... Repeatedly! #3  
I run an 853 around 2005 year. If yours is newer maybe 2008/2009 and up you might have the newer style levers. I never have this problem with my older style lever. I can understand tripping and accidently hitting it. Always need to be careful with power equipment. This is a good reason to make sure your OPC (operator presence control) is always working. At the first sign of trouble you can either immediately let go of switch which will kill the engine or squeeze your clutch lever in. Probably clutch is best bet because even if engine is dying from releasing the OPC, it will still be moving.

/ Shifting Forward/Reverse Unintentionally... Repeatedly! #4  
The reverse lever on mine is not a straight back and forward movement and so that would be a problem, also the OPC on the powersafe models doesn't cut the engine but it cuts the gearbox and PTO instantly.
Sorry maybe I am just bragging about my machine.....

/ Shifting Forward/Reverse Unintentionally... Repeatedly! #5  
Hi ferrari99

I did not realize you were talking about a Power Safe model. So if your OPC shuts down the PTO right away, even better when you accidently put the machine into reverse. I have not run a Power Safe model yet but am probably ordering one for stock soon.

/ Shifting Forward/Reverse Unintentionally... Repeatedly! #6  
I personally think it is more user friendly than standard because you don't have to restart the engine every time you let the OPC go(that is how I understand it is on the others?), but they don't make a powersafe with a transport speed as far as I know (we can't get a transport speed here).