Buying a BCS used or new

/ Buying a BCS used or new
ferrari99, I might want a trailer in the future so that is something to consider.
I'm thinking it's not worth $5000 either, I'm waiting to find out more about it, supposedly it only has 9 hours of use. It's hard top tell from the picture, but the tiller guard looks like it has a lot of wear on it, more than 9 hours.

Ford850, Does the 850 have transport when in the front mounted position?
I would definitely use the other implements, but the tiller would be used most. If I can get a better price on the whole package, I suppose I could sell the sweeper to help pay for a new tiller.

/ Buying a BCS used or new #12  
Depending on how much you use it and how hard it is worked would it be worth considering a diesel? (I may or may not be biased considering I have a diesel).
Our machine has about 40 hours on it and it looks far newer than that one considering it also says "stored in garage".
The trouble we have here in Australia is that they are not available with a transport speed.

/ Buying a BCS used or new #13  
My suggestion is to to offer to buy the tractor and implements for $3000 and not go above $3500. The same tractor and implements if bought new I'm guessing would be about $7000 to $8000 or more.. I'm not quite sure but looking at the picture it appears to have a 14 hp Briggs Vanguard engine. I would not go above $3500 because you may have the same experience as CMYoung on this board and have to replace the engine which would set you back another $700. With you living in MA having a snowblower may be a wondrous thing to have. The mower is useful and the tiller can be put into shape with new tines should it need new a new set. The 850 is a good tractor and has essentially the same features as today's 852 and 853 tractors.

/ Buying a BCS used or new #14  
Regarding the unit for sale on CL -

I think it's a 605 or 737. It has a flat top tiller, and the ridger has no hole to accommodate a 3 dog PTO. Transport speed is in "mower" mode on the 605, and "tiller" mode on the 737.

If you buy it, use that mower to hold your shed door open. It has no breakaway to absorb shocks, which puts too much stress on the PTO. It's OK for use in known areas where that's NO chance of finding a big rock, stump, or anthill, but is likely to break your PTO if it hits something unmovable.

He pulled that $30k price out of thin air. I'd bet he paid about $5K when he bought it in the early 90's. It'd probably be a waste of time contacting him as he's not likely to cut his price in half.

I wouldn't worry too much about having a "local" dealer. Many BCS dealers sell them next to other OPE. They really have no specialized skills when it comes to fixing them. Any person with a basic knowledge of machinery can work on and fix a Grillo or a BCS.

ferrari99, I am considering a diesel for a long term investment, but it does ad quite a bit to the price. I'm working with a limited budget and I can see that it will get expensive by the time I purchase the implements I need.
Although it looks like the grillo 107d has a diesel and electric start for about the same price as a 853 with gasoline engine and pull start.

Wstr75, Your right I was thinking the same thing about the snow blower. I have a truck with plow but there is a lot of places I could use a snow thrower. I was thinking the same thing, offering $3000 depending on the condition of everything.

Farmerboybill, Your right it turns out it is a 605 12hp. Thanks for the heads up on the mower, I wasn't sure if it could be used in overgrown areas. The $30,000 price kind of throws me off also, because right off the bat there being dishonest, also it looks like it has more than the 9 hours of use he claimed it had. I think the seller isn't the previous owner so he doesn't really know anything about it.

Is the 605 a decent tractor if it isn't worn out by now? Looks like it was the predecessor to the 850.

thanks

/ Buying a BCS used or new #16  
The 605 is the predecessor to the 850 and is a good machine. It doesn't have a shift pattern like the 850, which is just a crooked line to provide stops at every gear. It helps you find your gear easier. It also has a spline PTO, which is not as strong as a 3 dog PTO, but is adequate for 99% of applications. It also may not have a cone clutch. Only way to know is to pull the engine. The other clutch is a series of clutch facings that comes in two pieces. It's actually a better clutch than the cone clutch as it does not stick from sitting.

I'd figure the tractor to be worth $1500, Tiller $250, Snowblower $350, mower $200, sweeper 300, sickle mower (if complete and working) $300, ridger $50, moldboard plow $50. I think there must have been a dozer blade, too, as that L shaped bracket looks like part to one. You may wanna ask. If he has it, that's another $150. I'm trying to think of what he's calling a "roller", unless it's just a lawn roller adapted to be pulled behind it.

Thanks for the info, there is quite a few different models, but I'm starting to learn.

I think the roller might be a ride behind sulky. It turns out the seller's step father passed away and that is why he posted the ad. I offered $3000 but he thinks its worth much more than that, so we'll see if he ends up calling back.

Most likely I will just bite the bullet and buy new, I hate paying all that sales tax though.
It looks like there is a sale on professional series models on BCSAmerica.com until the end of the month. BCS 853 is $3,849. Does that mean most dealers will offer that price?

/ Buying a BCS used or new #18  
BCS 853 is $3,849.
You said your on a budget that machine here in Australia would probably retail around $7,000, here that would be dirt cheap (just my sob story about everything being dearer here than in the US)

/ Buying a BCS used or new #19  
I don't know your exact use but the 749 is the same price as the 853, the 749 doesn't have the transport speed but it has a powersafe clutch and it looks a little more refined.
Just my thoughts,
ferrari99

/ Buying a BCS used or new #20  
Thanks for the info, there is quite a few different models, but I'm starting to learn.

I think the roller might be a ride behind sulky. It turns out the seller's step father passed away and that is why he posted the ad. I offered $3000 but he thinks its worth much more than that, so we'll see if he ends up calling back.

Most likely I will just bite the bullet and buy new, I hate paying all that sales tax though.
It looks like there is a sale on professional series models on BCSAmerica.com until the end of the month. BCS 853 is $3,849. Does that mean most dealers will offer that price?
I know where you could get a 730 with a tiller for 1/3 of what you offered him if you didnt mind a drive to near Rochester, NY :D

Aaron Z