Grillo vs BCS controls

/ Grillo vs BCS controls #1  

jrpeterson05

Tractor
BCS 720, BCS 739
I currently have a BCS 720 that I use to hire out for tilling. It does a lot better than my old Husqvarna rear tine tiller. The BCS is an older model but I just found a cheaper one here local to see if they were really that much better. Now I am ready to get a newer machine that is a bit bigger. I was originally looking at the 732 but after doing some research I think I will go with a Grillo. I am still trying to decide between a 85d and a 107d, I know the main differences are a 3 working speed and steering brakes. I will be using this primarily for tilling. I would also like to get a snow blower and rotary plow in the future and possibly a mower. My lot is a 1/3 of an acre so I would have a hard time justifying a mower unless I can find a good deal on a used one.

Any thought on either or those machines for my purposes would be helpful.

My main question is how are the controls on the Grillo compared to the BCS? The main difference I see is that the reverse on the Grillo is on the lever rather than the shuttle time reverse on the BCS. I was just wondering how that when tilling. I till smaller gardens where I need to back up quite a bit to maneuver as well as large yards for sod prep or large gardens where I don't need reverse as often. There are very few videos online that review the features of the Grillo. If anyone has a Grillo and would like to make a video of tractor in action and the control that would be awesome.

Thanks very much for the help.

Jason

/ Grillo vs BCS controls #2  
I just bought a Grillo 107d. I think it is a good model for what you are wanting to use it for. I'm glad I got one with faster speeds, it is nice when I'm going from the shed to the garden, I dont have to walk slowly I can get there with a brisk walk making it easier and lighter to maneuver.

I'm not familiar with the BCS controls, but the Grillo is pretty easy to shift between forward and reverse. I plan on making a video showing how to operate it, because I found very little info online. Even the owners manual doesn't explain the controls very well. It's all pretty intuitive but a video would be helpful.

/ Grillo vs BCS controls
I just bought a Grillo 107d. I think it is a good model for what you are wanting to use it for. I'm glad I got one with faster speeds, it is nice when I'm going from the shed to the garden, I dont have to walk slowly I can get there with a brisk walk making it easier and lighter to maneuver.

I'm not familiar with the BCS controls, but the Grillo is pretty easy to shift between forward and reverse. I plan on making a video showing how to operate it, because I found very little info online. Even the owners manual doesn't explain the controls very well. It's all pretty intuitive but a video would be helpful.

Thanks frontyardfarm, that does make a lot of sense. I always thought of using the 3rd speed for mowing but it would make a lot if sense to use it like a transport speed. Let me know when you post a video. Thanks.

/ Grillo vs BCS controls #4  
The G107d and G85d are physically the same size. The only difference is internal. Either one are physically smaller than the 852/853/740/749, but are comparably sized to the 732. If mowing is in your future, definitely consider the 107d or 852/853. The 732 and the 85d are better suited for slower work like soilworking or snow blowing, not mowing. Also, if you're on slopes, steering brakes are a no-brainer. You ride the uphill brake while mowing to hold the hill. It'd be exhausting to try to fight a machine without brakes if mowing large areas. Brakes can be mounted after the fact on a 732 or 85d, but then you may as well have bought the bigger machines anyway.

/ Grillo vs BCS controls #5  
Im surprised that the 85 and 107 are similarly sized physically. Tires must have a lot to do with the photos I've seen.

Interesting fact.

/ Grillo vs BCS controls #6  
They have the exact same transmission housing, steering column and handlebars. The only difference is the steering brakes, the third working speed, the tires, and the engine. The tires and engine will surely make a machine look bigger.