Wheel brakes?

/ Wheel brakes? #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
Can someone tell me whether BCS and DR Brush Mower have wheel brakes?

Ralph

/ Wheel brakes? #2  
It depends on what model of BCS you have, most of them have parking brakes and some have steering brakes.
I don't know about the DR's but there doesn't seem to be anything mentioned on their website.

/ Wheel brakes? #3  
With BCS it depends on the model. Most that have differentials have independent steering brakes, like the 852/853, 850, some others. Even the ones that don't, you can add brakes, but with out a differential it would only be a parking/stop brake.

/ Wheel brakes? #4  
I owned a DR brush cutter for a few years. It did not have steering brakes. To my knowledge none of DR's brush cutters have steering brakes. Having owned both the DR brush cutter and a handful of BCS tractors I can tell you there is no comparison between the BCS and Dr brush cutter. When I say that I not talking soley about brush cutting but am taking into account all the things you can do with a BCS/Grillo. Keep in mind the DR takes only front mounted attachments as opposed the BCS/Grillo with takes front and rear. That being the case you have about 4 implement options (brush cutter, lawn mower, dozer blade, chipper) for DR and about 30+ with BCS. Also the DR is belt driven and BCS/Grillo are all gear drive. Don't get me wrong though, I do think the DR brush cutter is a quality machine. I had around a 2009 year model with 15HP Kawasaki and 26" brush cut deck. It did a very good job at brush cutting and lawn mowing Also had their 40" lawn mowing deck (non bagging). They both worked very well. If all a person needs is 1 brush cutter and perhaps a lawn mower that does not bag, then the DR is a decent machine. It has a locking differential like the BCS however the BCS differential is easier to lock in/out. I am confident my BCS tractors will last for decades, I do not have that same feeling with the DR. Still, I think its (the DR) a quality machine, much better than any other American machine on the market (as far as brush cutting/lawn mowing/chipping), it just can't compare to the BCS or Grillo. The DR does feel "solid", where most equipment these days does not. On my BCS tractors I love steering brakes and highly recommend them (depending on your application). However if using the brush cutter on the BCS with steering brakes it works best if you lift the brush deck just slightly before using your steering brakes. It will turn the deck some without doing this but since the brush cutter has no wheels it does not turn instantly like all the other front mounted implements with wheels on them. I really think price wise you won't spend much more on a BCS or Grillo then you will on the DR. That being the case the choice is easy in my opinion. I hope that helps.

/ Wheel brakes? #5  
The 735, 745, 604, 605, 737, 945, 830, 850, 946, 948, 852, 853, 740, 749, and 750 have a locking differential and steering brakes. The 602, 715, 725, 710, 716, 720, 730, 712, 718, and 722 have a solid axle and no steering brakes. The 732 has locking differential but no brakes. The 739 has a locking differential and parking brake.

Whew. May have missed a model or two....