GRILLO G110D

/ GRILLO G110D #1  

bjc68speed

Tractor
none
Hey folks, went to the Mother Earth News Fair this weekend wanted to take a look at the BCS 853 and 749 as I am considering purchasing one for the upcoming year. Well now comes the part were it gets harder to make a choice. They had the new Grillo g110d there. This machine is available with the same motor choices as the 853/749. I talked to their service manager and he thought highly of the new machine I did not get all the particulars but he did explain that it had a diaphragm style clutch, don't know if this is a new clutch or something Grillo has had. Looking for your opinions.

/ GRILLO G110D #2  
The G110d has been several years in the making. It was spec'd by Joel to Grillo to build it. This machine should be about the best two wheel tractor available in the US. Only 20 have been brought in so far. I haven't even seen one yet, and it's not on his website yet. I'm excited to see my first one.

The clutch is new. Unless I misunderstood, it should be a set of about 4 flat disks like the clutches used in the first BCS machines after the Acme engines went away, but before they developed the cone clutch. It should be stronger than the cone clutch in the G85, G85d, and G107d, but not have the problem of sticking that BCS's cone clutch has.

/ GRILLO G110D
Farmerboybill, Thanks for your response. The question I didn't think to ask was what transmission are they using? Is it the G107 trans or something new? He did explain that the PTO shaft was a tapered 3 prong and I assumed it was identical to a G131. Most of what I know has been picked up on this forum and on YouTube. Earth Tools didn't have a G107 there to compare it too. If the PTO on this new machine is the same as the G131 does it limit you on implements?

/ GRILLO G110D #4  
I believe they are using a different transmission housing to accommodate the new clutch, but it has the same internals.

I don't think the PTO is the same as the G131d. It will not limit you on new attachments as all the manufacturers make their attachments to fit dozens of different brand walk-behinds. You'll just need to specify you have a G110d It will limit your ability to source used attachments because they will be set up to fit Grillo spline or BCS 3-dog, but you could get the parts to modify them in many cases. I'm sure there will be an adapter as well.

A lot of what I am saying here is based on conversations with Joel, Chris, Casey, and Matt. It's secondhand information as best as I remember and understand. I'll know alot more when I have my hands on one. This is a very recently introduced tractor that no one but Earth Tools really know much about.

Though I AM excited!!

/ GRILLO G110D #5  
Hi there,

Joel here from Earth Tools...So, to clear things up regarding the new Grillo G110: Yes, this is essentially a upgraded version of the G107, with a larger PTO shaft and clutch to handle the extra engine HP (up to 14hp gas, 11hp diesel), and also longer handlebars with different handlebar controls for better operator comfort. Grillo designed this machine to be a direct competitor for the BCS 852/853/749.

The particulars regarding the clutch and tranny:

The clutch is a dry, multi-plate disk clutch, which has more disk surface area than any machine in its class, yet requires very little effort to use the clutch control (comparable effort to new PowerSafe hydraulic clutch on BCS 739, 749 & 750)...and this clutch is still very easily owner-serviced if needed (like all Grillo machines, and UNLIKE the BCS PowerSafe hydraulic clutch).
The gearbox uses most of the same components that were on the G107, with the exception of the PTO shaft and PTO housing, which have been strengthened by over 50%. The PTO shaft coupling on this machine is the FLAT-3-TOOTH (not tapered) design (which is the type used on the G131)...but the bolt-pattern for the PTO is the same as the G107 (the G131 its own, larger bolt pattern), so with this combination of PTO coupling and bolt-pattern, really this machine has its own specific PTO type. We will offer a full line of implements to fit the G110, essentially mirroring the selection we offer for the BCS 852/853/749 machines. Also, existing G107 implements can be used on the G110 with a very simple adapter. The PTO coupling system chosen for the G110 offers excellent durability (the G131 has used this same shaft coupling for 40 years, and it will carry up to 18hp) while still offering very easy and inexpensive user servicing if needed.
The ground speeds of the G110 are like those in the G107, which are faster than the comparable BCS in the higher (mowing) speeds...this is typically considered desirable by our customers.

Additional features are: All G110 machines come standard equipment with the 5x12x22" wheels (on the BCS 852/853/749, the standard wheels on the gas-powered units are 5x10x20"; only the diesel models come with the 12" rim wheels as standard. These gas BCS machines can be upgraded to the larger wheels, but it is an upcharge of $50...so make sure to take this into account in price comparisons). Also, the G110 features a "Smart-Reverse", which automatically changes the forward/reverse control orientation when the handlebars are rotated around from front-to-rear PTO (or vice versa). This is a feature originally developed by Grillo in the early 1980s and then "borrowed" by BCS from 1989 to 2003 on some models. BCS never got it quite right, as it was easy to screw up this feature on the BCS models it was on...Grillo had this feature on the G107 up until 2010, and it worked great and was very durable, but the version they had on the G107 did not allow an anti-vibration system to be in place on the handlebars, so we decided to have Grillo take the Smart Reverse off the G107 in favor of the anti-vibe system. The G110 is engineered to offer both the Smart Reverse AND anti-vibrated handles, so it's the best of all possible systems.

As of the date of this posting, the G110 is not shown on our website or in our catalog, but hopefully I will have that rectified soon.

Best regards,
Joel Dufour, Earth Tools

Last edited:
   / GRILLO G110D #6  
Joel,
Will the current G107 quick connect work on the G110 with the adapter?

/ GRILLO G110D
Thank you very much for the clarification. I am very interested in this machine !

/ GRILLO G110D #8  
If someone had a bunch of implements outfitted with BCS quick hitches would there be an adapter to mount on the grill 110d to run those implements?

thanks

/ GRILLO G110D #9  
No, it wouldn't make sense to make that adapter. The G110d has the opposite rotation in mower mode, the same as the G107d. Only rear-mount attachments (and sickle mowers) will have the proper rotation without modification. Stationary attachments will also work as long as you have the reverser lever in the proper direction to get the proper rotation. Mowers, sweepers, and snow blowers will turn backward. I'm sure Joel deliberately had the PTO designed different so people do not try to run BCS attachments on it. That, and the fact that the BCS PTO is engaged inside the oil-bath transmission. Grillo's PTO is engaged by sliding the PTO towards the attachment. The BCS's does not move.

/ GRILLO G110D #10  
ah ok. thanks for the info. I always thought one day I would replace my bcs 852 with a grillo to get the faster mowing speed since I do a lot of mowing and feel like I could run in circles while following behind (read: slow for my long legs), but sounds like it might not make economical sense considering all the implements I already have(del morino brush mower, bcs 38" lawn mower, molon hay rake, snow blower, sickle, bio100 chipper, tiller).