Fuel Consumption BCS 852/853 tractors

/ Fuel Consumption BCS 852/853 tractors #1  

SI2305

Gold Member
This question is mostly about curiosity since I am not in the position to buy right at this moment, but I have some dense wooded acreage on steep terrain. I am in a long term project of trying to rehabilitate my woods after a severe storm about 5 years ago blew down about 20 large trees (and numerous smaller ones). Much of this ground is fairly easy to access with my JD 2305 with LX4. However, there are sections where the ground is just too steep to run even a small tractor and a hand tractor would just be more maneuverable than even a subcompact 4 wheel tractor. After looking around, the best machine for my needs appears to be the BCS 852/853 machines with either a brush hog or flail mower.

The specific question I have is what is their fuel consumption? Presumably I would get a diesel--just better characteristics overall. Earth Tools does a good job explaining the majority of their tractor's functions and qualities, but only lists their fuel consumption as being "better than a 4 wheel tractor." My JD2305 gets about 2/3 gallon/hr. Granted, this figure changes depending of the exact task being performed, but it was consistently reliable--I always checked when refueling. So is a 852/853 going to consume say 1/2 gallon/hr? 1/10 gallon/hr? I would be mostly either brush hogging or flail mowing. I would probably be using a diesel, but have not ruled out a gas engine.

Thank you in advance for your input and feel free to comment about my thoughts for its planned performance. As I stated earlier, I am not buying any time soon and my tractor experience is limited to my JD2305.

Thank you,

SI2305
JD2305, LX4, 5' finish mower, 200CX loader, 5' grader blade, 4' box blade

/ Fuel Consumption BCS 852/853 tractors #2  
Hi! For engine. I have two small diesel engines . one DEK diesel 10 HP Yanmar clone. other is ACme adn 37. 8.8 HP.
Both takes ABOUT one liter hour.
I have also one HONDA GX340 11HP. This one take about two liters by hour.
Yanmar as your 2305 and 10 HP YANMAR takes less fuel as 180 grams HP hour. Other as LOMBARDINI and KUBOTA takes 190 grams HP hour
Honda engine takes about 230 grams HP hour .
All can change with load. engine speed etc
Good luck !Oldmech

/ Fuel Consumption BCS 852/853 tractors #3  
You'll get about 1/3 gal/hr. I heard that the air cooled diesels are sensitive to slopes, but I have no idea how bad.

Earthtools is a great source.

Best of luck in your search.

/ Fuel Consumption BCS 852/853 tractors #4  
Yes, I know for a fact that air cooled diesels are slope sensitive, my experience is that it has to be pretty steep though (like almost to steep to walk up).

/ Fuel Consumption BCS 852/853 tractors #5  
I was just at earth tools in Kentucky Monday and the number Joel gave for the kohler diesel was a 40 degree slope. From working on roofs, I know that is not walkable. Fuel consumption I'm not sure about but will find out because we got the BCS 853 with the kohler diesel.

/ Fuel Consumption BCS 852/853 tractors #6  
Look, how far did you travel to make it to earthtools? Would you recommend the trip?

I am considering picking up my next implement purchase, but it's a long drive.

/ Fuel Consumption BCS 852/853 tractors #7  
Look, how far did you travel to make it to earthtools? Would you recommend the trip?

I am considering picking up my next implement purchase, but it's a long drive.
It was a 500 mile trip each way for us. I would say it was worth the drive to have Joel go over the machine with us, pointing out things to pay closer attention to and techniques for hooking up implements, as well as making sure everything was set up right for what we were doing with it. He added more wheel weights to the machine while we were there to help pull the plow and hiller we bought. Trying to think about what it would be like if I had just ordered it and was relying souly on the manual and I would say it was a huge help to go there but I am much more of a visual person than some. Also the discount for paying with a check almost paid for the trip so yes I would say it was very worth the drive.