BCS Tiller maintenance

/ BCS Tiller maintenance #1  

jrpeterson05

Tractor
BCS 720, BCS 739
I purchased a used BCS 720 this past year and it has worked great. I have had to do quite a bit of work to fix some things. One of my winter projects was to fix the oil leak from the tiller gearbox. Every time I use the tiller I find oil leaking out. I have been filling it up every 5 to 10 hours of use. I wanted to open it up and see what I needed to replace to stop that oil leak but I cant seem to get into the gearbox. I have taken the tines off and 4 screws to the side of the gearbox but it wont come apart.

Has anyone done a repair like this before? Is there an easier way to do it? I can't seem to find a part diagram for the tiller attachment either. Even if I do get it apart I wont know what part to order. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank

/ BCS Tiller maintenance #2  
You need to tap the tine shaft from the opposite side of the cover. The shaft running forward and back will stay in place.

I've rebuilt these tillers and have a post on here somewhere. I am currently running corn head grease in my tiller after the seals went out again. It's a grease with a low melting point that liquifies while the tiller is spinning and solidifies when the tiller isn't. I've had it in for awhile with no ill effects, and I didn't need to tear apart the box again. If you do take it apart, make sure you buy new bearings as you WILL knock them apart on disassembly.