BCS dual wheel weight setup: liquid filled or solid tires?

/ BCS dual wheel weight setup: liquid filled or solid tires? #1  

UTCenturion

Tractor
Kubota M5140 4x4 tractor, Bobcat 331G excavator, BCS 749 walk behind
I recently acquired a BCS 749 with the powersafe clutch and 13 hp honda. I've got a bell logsplitter (which has been awesome) for it this winter but my main function I bought it for is going to be mowing my steep pastures and creekbanks. I'm wanting to put dual wheels on it to make it more stable on a steep slope and thought they'ld probably work even better with some weight atleast on the outer most wheels. I know Earth tools offers rubber filled solid tires on a new tire purchase. Those increase the weight and reduce the maintanence so I've got those as an option. But I'm also wondering if liquid filled tires might be a better option for mowing rough pasture since you can leave an air gap inside so the tires retain their springiness/ shock absorption. My big tractor is liquid filled in the rear tires. I've got a solid bush hog tire and it has absolutely no springiness. it might as well be made of steel, and I have to be careful what it drives over. I have bent a swivel frame before on the thing.

Does anyone have any experience with foam or liquid filled tires on a 2- wheel tractor?

/ BCS dual wheel weight setup: liquid filled or solid tires? #2  
I have no experience with either of those setups.

I purchased the adjustable wheel extensions, which I maxed out and added iron wheel weights to the wheels. Its great on slopes, only needs two tires, and the rims can be reused.

I've seen people with double wheel setups use the steel wheels as their second set of duals

I have a 107d, so a little smaller than your machine.

/ BCS dual wheel weight setup: liquid filled or solid tires?
thanks for the info,

do you have the stock wheel size or larger?

Can you clarify what you mean by "the rims can be reused"?

/ BCS dual wheel weight setup: liquid filled or solid tires? #4  
I bought a 107d last August, specifically for brush mowing on slopes. It has 20 " tires , no foam or liquid. 5 inch axle extensions. 11hp Honda engine. I mow up to a 30 degree slope with little problem. I only mow up or down on that steep of a slope.

The biggest issue I have is the engine skid plate will bottom out if I try to mow across a low spot. I'm saving up for a set of larger tires with the foam. I have had one flat tire so far (locust thorns).

I bought a 107d last August, specifically for brush mowing on slopes. It has 20 " tires , no foam or liquid. 5 inch axle extensions. 11hp Honda engine. I mow up to a 30 degree slope with little problem. I only mow up or down on that steep of a slope.

The biggest issue I have is the engine skid plate will bottom out if I try to mow across a low spot. I'm saving up for a set of larger tires with the foam. I have had one flat tire so far (locust thorns).

By mow across a low spot you mean like crossing a ditch?

Mine has the 5x10x20 wheels but i have no experience mowing with that size yet. Only thing I've done is try to pull my log splitter around a muddy jobsite. Its very easy for the tractor to lose traction in mud pulling this big heavy log splitter which probably weighs slightly more than the tractor and doesn't put weight on the wheels like a mower or tiller would.

/ BCS dual wheel weight setup: liquid filled or solid tires? #6  
thanks for the info, do you have the stock wheel size or larger? Can you clarify what you mean by "the rims can be reused"?

When the rims are foam filled when the tires wear flat, the rims are trash. Also liquid filled tires could damage the rim too.

The rims on these machines aren't too expensive, but I run on gravel and turn on pavement often, so I try to reuse the rims

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ BCS dual wheel weight setup: liquid filled or solid tires? #7  
thanks for the info, do you have the stock wheel size or larger? Can you clarify what you mean by "the rims can be reused"?

Oh and I have stock tires.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

these days the liquid they put in equipment tires is supposed to be non-rust causing. Its not just plain old water.

/ BCS dual wheel weight setup: liquid filled or solid tires? #9  
By mow across a low spot you mean like crossing a ditch?

Mine has the 5x10x20 wheels but i have no experience mowing with that size yet. Only thing I've done is try to pull my log splitter around a muddy jobsite. Its very easy for the tractor to lose traction in mud pulling this big heavy log splitter which probably weighs slightly more than the tractor and doesn't put weight on the wheels like a mower or tiller would.

Yes, going across a ditch, and very shallow ditches at that. I've learned to mow parallel with any depression.

You may want to add some wheel weights to help with moving the splitter.

/ BCS dual wheel weight setup: liquid filled or solid tires? #10  
There is a company in Canada that builds tracks for BCS equipment. Check them out on you tube. I'm sure it's expensive.