New to me BCS 716

/ New to me BCS 716 #1  

Brad_Blazer

Veteran Member
Tractor
2006 Kama554; 92 Belarus 250AS
Tried starting a garden last year and the front tine MTD was just making me mad. When I saw this one on Craigslist I jumped on it. It's a 1999 model according to the label on the tiller attachment. It got a new clutch and 5.5hp Intek OHV in 2013 according to the seller. This was the owner's personal machine at an equipment dealer/service center. He had acquired a larger model they were going to repower to replace this one.

Now I'm anxious for some warmer weather.

Attachments

• P2170712.jpg
    P2170712.jpg
    838.7 KB · Views: 580
Last edited:
   / New to me BCS 716 #2  
Nice little rig. It has exactly thee same transmission case as the 730, but with smaller tires (3.5 versus 4 by 8), smaller engine (5 versus 8 hp), and smaller tiller(18" max). You're gonna like it a whole lot better than your MTD. It'll make a bang-up tiller.

/ New to me BCS 716
Thanks Bill. Is the current 710 the same machine as my 716?

/ New to me BCS 716 #4  
Your 716 has smaller tires and a smaller engine, but yes, it has the same transmission as the current model 710.

It's not like the 710 from 15 years ago. It had only one speed forward and reverse. They're well built, but aren't much good for anything with such limited speeds.

/ New to me BCS 716
I'm fixing a couple of things today. When I picked it up the weather was bad and they had it inside so I only saw it run in low speed and verified the reverse interlock on the tiller. Yesterday I was trying it out and the clutch slipped a lot and it would barely till or go in high gear. This morning I pulled the clutch boot and the lever was pivoting all the way to the casting with tension still on the spring. I had watched this video the other day which gave me a hint as to the problem. Thanks ChuckE2009!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1123TxUbBI

I pulled the engine/clutch off and the "cone pusher" was upside down. The protruding tab should be horizontal and below center (experts back me up on this). There was some evidence that the clutch had gotten hot: the cone was rusted and the edge of the warning label was discolored, but the not like it was totally burned up.

After cleaning up the inside of the housing and putting a little grease on the contact surfaces, I bolted it together and after taking up a LOT of slack in the clutch cable it works like a champ. In hindsight I should have taken pics because this seems like an important how-to.

The other item is the handle adjustment lever. The pin was a little rusty and when I went to adjust it yesterday I pulled a little hard on it and broke it right off. I'm going to try carving one out of a piece of 1/2" acetal scrap I have. It looks like it's only a $14 part but shipping makes it over $20 and I impatient anyhow.

/ New to me BCS 716 #6  
That lever was a weak point on them. They were fine if the PO kept them lubed and out of the weather, but would break easily without much persuasion if the pin was allowed to seize. I've seen one lever made out of what appeared to be aluminium. I can only assume the owner was a machinist and made it, as I've never seen another.

Glad to hear you're getting along with the 716.

Last edited:
   / New to me BCS 716
Here's my lever. It started out looking better but I had to trim it down to fit through the slot properly and I just did that with a flap disk. The 1/2" stock got a little thin around the oval holes but it really does work easy now that it's cleaned up and lubed. I thought about steel or aluminum but the plastic was easy to work with.

Attachments

• P2210716.jpg
    P2210716.jpg
    984.3 KB · Views: 367
  • P2210720.jpg
    P2210720.jpg
    869.3 KB · Views: 820
   / New to me BCS 716
While I had the handlebar off I tripped over it and broke the cool throttle lever. At that point I was "somewhat frustrated". I hope the epoxy holds.

Attachments

• P2210721.jpg
    P2210721.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 279
   / New to me BCS 716 #9  
While I had the handlebar off I tripped over it and broke the cool throttle lever. At that point I was "somewhat frustrated". I hope the epoxy holds.

The throttle level on my 722 has been broken for some time. I adjust the throttle at the engine. Some day I will replace it, but so far, not an issue. My 722 is a lot like yours but has the 8HP Brigs IC