Transport Wheel Speed?

/ Transport Wheel Speed? #1  

amyL

Tractor
kabota
Can anyone explain what transport wheel speed is? Seems like it's a major difference between BCS 853 and 749. Any other differences?

Thanks.

/ Transport Wheel Speed?
Also, does anyone think it's worth extra money to have 12" instead of 10" tires? What about filling them with foam...?

/ Transport Wheel Speed? #3  
Transport speed is the speed of the tractor while towing a trailer which you sit on. This is too fast to walk behind. It's a great feature.

The difference between those units is a newer clutch on the 749. The clutch has been discussed in depth on other threads.

Are you sure on those tire sizes? Did you mean 20 and 22 inch? Tractors with larger tires travel a little faster. But there are a lot of variables based on the work your doing. The larger tires also have more ground clearance.

I like steel wheel weights. They allow more adjustments for my applications.

What are your intended uses of this tractor?

/ Transport Wheel Speed? #4  
Are you looking for foam for puncture resistance or weight?

/ Transport Wheel Speed? #6  
The transport speed behind those units is 8.3 mph. That's way too fast to walk.

/ Transport Wheel Speed? #7  
The transport speed behind those units is 8.3 mph. That's way too fast to walk.

....At full throttle. At half throttle or less, it's a brisk walk. I use my fourth gear all the time to get where I want to go faster.

/ Transport Wheel Speed? #8  
I use my 749 for mowing mostly and pulling a logsplitter or generator around. If you are bushogging i would suggest getting the largest possible wheels, the 23" outer diameter wheels on 12" rims. i tried the 10" rims 20" outer diameter and its no comparison for mowing or driving through mud with the heavy splitter.

/ Transport Wheel Speed? #9  
Hi! Hard choice.
Do you plan use a trailer behind your tractor for transport. The 953 is better

Do you plan use a bushhog on uneven ground .one moldboard or rotary plow

12 in. are better. But for all others works 10 in. are a good choice .

Good luck! Oldmech

/ Transport Wheel Speed? #10  
Hi amyL :)

A handful of good members have already given you some useful information I think, but I hope that I can add a little.

I have the BCS 740 with the new PowerSafe clutch. This model is almost identical to the 749 sold in the US, except for longer handlebars and a few other things, as I understand. These two models do not have the transport gear, which the models 852/853 with the traditional cone clutch have. The differences between the two different types of clutches are discussed in this thread:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/2-wheeled-tractors/231657-powersafe-clutch-bcs.html

The transport gear allow much higher speeds than the 3 working gears, and is therefore ideal when you have to transport the tractor between more working places, as it allows you to walk with the engine at idle, instead of full throttle in 3rd gear. Note, that the transport gear only allows you to drive in one direction; forward in the front-PTO (mower) mode for the 852, and forward in the rear-PTO (tiller) mode for the 853. This means, that if you plan to use a trailer or rear mounted implements, you are better off with the 853. If you use more front mounted implements, the 852 might be your best option. Joel explains these differences in more detail here:

Earth Tools

You will find useful information on wheel/tire size in a number of threads, like:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/2-wheeled-tractors/322759-larger-tire-options-bcs-852-a.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...3-tire-size-width.html?highlight=#post3329505

As you can see in the threads mentioned above, choosing the right wheel size depends on which implements you plan to use. For tilling smaller wheels might be the right choice, as larger wheels might tilt the tractor too much. I use my 740 for mowing and sweeping, and for those jobs - and perhaps most jobs in the front-PTO mode - I can highly recommend the largest possible wheels. Had I known better when I bought my tractor, I had bought it with the 6.5x12x23" wheels straight away, as I have no use for the smaller standard wheels.

Just to make sure we are talking about the same: when you say 10" and 12" tires, these numbers are the diameters of the rims. The outer diameter of the tires mounted on these rims are usually 20" and 23" respectively, depending on width and construction.

Foam serves two goals: added weight for better traction, and less risk of a puncture.

I have no experience with foam, but if you are looking for weight, I can also recommend wheel weights. I use 15 kg (33 lbs.) in each wheel all the time, and it makes a lot of difference on traction and stability.

Best regards

Jens