Flail mower for BCS 730?

/ Flail mower for BCS 730? #1  

CodeMonkey

Silver Member
Tractor
Grillo 107, BCS 730
I have a BCS 730 with a 9 HP B&S engine that I bought used about 2 years ago.

It came with a tiller and shortly after that I bought a Bio100 chipper/shredder from a rental outfit.

I have wanted to get a flail mower for this tractor every since I bought it, and now I need one even more.

I have lived on this 20 acre plot for almost three years. It is moderately wooded with 50 to 60 year old fir, some cedar and maple and scrub oak and hazelnut. Near the house it is mostly cleared, with some grass and shrubs, but also some overgrown brush because the PO let it go wild.

About 16 months ago I had a logger come in and thin the trees in about 3 acres near the house. I marked each tree he was to cut, mostly cutting immature trees and trees too close to the others. I made some money on the deal, but spent all of that (and more) on land improvements. As part of the logging he cleared a lot of the underbrush and left me some scrap logs I am cutting into firewood. I just now finished burning the large slash piles.

Last summer I had the chance to use a TD6 dozer for an afternoon to clean up some remaining brush and brambles, so the result is a lot of the brush I wanted cleared in the thinned area has been cleared, but I still have significant areas of brush and brambles I need to cut. The heavier brush I will use a dozer to clear later, but I now have a lot of underbrush that has grown up, mostly green brush including grass, but also some woody plants.

My lawn mower can't handle it, and it will be an ongoing task to keep it managed, so I want a flail mower that I can use to get in and around some trees and vegetation I want to keep (ferns and salal) and beat back the briars/brambles before it takes over (I have been spraying some of that) and other crawling vegetation that is trying to take over.

I called Earthtools and they said my tractor doesn't have the power for anything except maybe the 20" Bellon flail they sell and that I should also buy larger wheels. I agree on both counts - the chipper/shredder can kill the engine if I feed it a long hardwood sapling of just an inch thick and I don't slip the clutch to keep it going, pretty much making the chipper useless to me (I am going to sell it).

But I don't know anything about the Bellon flail. I haven't been able to find out much about it.

Does anybody have any experience with it, or with a flail on the BCS 730?

I am not talking about cutting grass or hay in a level field with this - I am talking about woodland underbrush - a mix of grass, other green plants, and some woody plants. I don't expect it to handle woody plants of an inch diameter or more, but I do want it to handle wood plants smaller than that so I can keep them from growing larger.

The ground is uneven and has holes from dug up stumps and brush and ruts from the logging equipment, so I need to be able to handle that kind of environment and to get around and into small areas - otherwise I would just rent/borrow a larger 4 wheel tractor with a rotary mower once a year.

Thanks in advance for any info.

/ Flail mower for BCS 730? #2  
I can't help you with the Bellon flail but I do have a berta 34in flail that I run on my 749 and on my 735 with the 10hp ACME engine. It run really well on the 749 but the 735 can barely keep it going in tall field grass. It will go through a pretty good amount of brush but the problem with brush and a flail is that a lot of the time once it first gets cut off the flail will suck it in and if there isn't enough power it with just instantly kill the engine. Also you will want larger tires!! The 735 has the stock tires with barbell weights and it gets stuck often. The 749 with 6.5-12-24in tires rarely gets stuck. Hope some of that helps.

/ Flail mower for BCS 730?
Yes thanks. That confirms my impression that the larger flail mowers wouldn't work well with my tractor.

Now if I find someone with experience with the Bellon 20" that would be good.

I wonder how large of wheels/tires I can fit on my 730 - the 16" wheels on it are not adequate.

I am thinking I should have done more research before buying this tractor.

/ Flail mower for BCS 730? #4  
I think it would power a 20in flail adequately. I have the 20in tires on my 735 and I still get hung up on the engine with the 20in ones.

I think the 730 might be able to power the a 20" mower, but I have reservations about the quality and durability of the Bellon.

I can't find much of any info on it.

/ Flail mower for BCS 730? #6  
I think the 730 might be able to power the a 20" mower, but I have reservations about the quality and durability of the Bellon.

I can't find much of any info on it.

CodeMonkey - You might not want to hear this but if I was you I would sell the 730 and get a larger tractor. Everything is easier with larger tires, differential, steering brakes and more engine power. I would bite the bullet before putting more money in it. The 730 is a good tractor for limited uses. Mostly soil working. Of course if you want to operate a small tiller in tight spaces a 730 is smaller and would work well in that situation. I have customers who run small brush cutters or chipper/shredders on these smaller tractors so it can be done. But if ones budget allows, why would one want to run that stuff on those small tractors? I don't knock anyone who wants to run certain implements on a smaller tractor. To each their own. But I do wonder if they have operated a larger tractor. I think 99% of folks who run a larger tractor would not want to go back to a 730 or similar. Feel free to message me and I can give you my contact info if you want to discuss any of this. I don't think you will come out ahead by upgrading parts on the 730.

As to the Bellon brand...I have not run the 20" Bellon flail, but have sold and run the Bellon brush decks. I do like them. Their have been a few minor issues but they are getting corrected as they come up. Probably need to call Earth Tools for the best perspective on running the 20" Bellon flail because they should have tested it I would think. But I have not asked them.

I was thinking about the various options.

I didn't want to go to a full sized 4 wheel tractor, or a skid steer (which is really what I need, but well beyond what I want to spend, and I would be better off renting one than buying one - but it is hard to find one with a flail or mower that is for rent), or excavator.

The other option would have been an ATV with a towable self-powered flail, but that combo would have been more than I want to spend too, and it wouldn't work for some tight spots I want to get into, so that wouldn't work.

That left me with upgrading to a more powerful 2 wheel tractor.

As luck would have it, I may have found one for sale, with flail mower, on CL, for a little more than the cost of the flail and wheels. A Grillo 107D with 11 HP Honda and a Berta 26" flail.

So we'll see what happens.

If I get that, then I will probably put my BCS up for sale alongside the chipper/shredder.

Got a low hours Grillo 107D with 11 HP Honda, sickle mower and flail mower for $2000

Pretty good deal IMO

I am hoping that this will do the trick.

/ Flail mower for BCS 730? #9  
Got a low hours Grillo 107D with 11 HP Honda, sickle mower and flail mower for $2000

Pretty good deal IMO

I am hoping that this will do the trick.

How big are the tires?