Grillo 107D questions

/ Grillo 107D questions #1  

CodeMonkey

Silver Member
Tractor
Grillo 107, BCS 730
I just bought a 107 D with BCS sickle bar (36"?) and Berta 26" flail mower.

I like it better than my BCS 730

I am mostly using this for mowing brush (saplings, small woody plants, brambles, etc.) and grass/etc. - much of which is currently up to my waist. I will mostly be using the flail mower.

Question #1

I want to get larger wheels/tires for it and axle extensions. I have very uneven ground in my forest and I also have about a quarter mile of ditches along a private road I want to mow. The tractor currently has 5x10.00 wheels now. Even though this is much better than the 4x8.00 wheels on the BCS, I can still get the tractor stuck in various holes and ruts, and it also moves around a lot, causing the mowing to be uneven (really only matters along the road where I want it to look nice) and to sometimes miss vegetation I want to mow.

I am thinking 6.5x12" wheels with 23" tires (with foam and I have wheel weights from my BCS). I will mostly be mowing in first gear as I find 2nd too fast for the brush, but I wouldn't mind going a little faster in first.

I am also thinking about dual wheels - but I am not sure if they are needed for mowing or if they are only better for soil working? I have a deep gully (a usually dry creek bed) in my woods that I would like cross with the tractor. There is a path leading down to it and path up the other side that I can use, but I want to mow around this path. I am not sure if dual wheels would help here or not?

Will the current 10" wheels from the Grillo fit on my BCS 730?

Last edited:
   / Grillo 107D questions
Q#2

I can't get the diff lock to engage. I can't get the lever to move at all, regardless of if the engine is running or not, transmission engaged or not.

What am I doing wrong?

/ Grillo 107D questions
Q#3

Will the implements from my BCS work with this tractor?

I have a BCS tiller and a Bio100 chipper shredder.

I am willing to buy adapters (the tractor has a QD connect now), but is the rotation of the PTO the correct direction?

/ Grillo 107D questions
Q#4

This is more of a general question.

What has been your experience using the "dozer" blade attachment to move dirt?

I have a number of projects where I need to move relatively small amounts of dirt (half a yard to two yards).

Some of this would be dirt/sand/etc I would be hauling in, some of it would be dirt in place.

/ Grillo 107D questions #5  
1. 6.5-22 tires are a good option for the 107d to keep it from getting stuck. You may want to put the 5-10s back on when tilling, depending on how the tilling goes. Taller tires will require you to adjust the flail mower to keep it running level. It's not a difficult task. Keep in mind you rims are adjustable, you may just be able to get a wider wheel base without extensions.

I'm not sure you could put duals on and not stick out on either side of the mower. It's not a huge deal that you're running over the next pass since the mower will suck it up anyway, but it would bother me.

1a. Yes, they will absolutely fit. Use the smaller holes in the rims. Keep in mind that tires that are taller, wider, and further from the transmission will also make it much harder to maneuver.

2. See if the cable is pinched. Try to move the lever at the transmission. You can disable the spring to make this easier. If it moves down there, someone pinched the cable as they rotated the handlebars.

3. Yes, they will both work. You'll need an adapter. When running the chipper, be very careful with the clutch, the same as with the flail mower. These two attachments are very power hungry. Also, be sure the have the reverser in the proper position. One way, it will turn the chipper forward, the olther way, it will turn the chipper BACKward. Grillos can run all rear mount attachments and stationary attachments (provided the reverser is in the right position), but cannot run front mount attachments without modification.

4. I used a dozer blade on a 715 (older version of your 730) to move gravel fines when building a patio. It did a surprisingly good job of it. It's no D8 Cat, but it'll move some material. You can use a tiller to loosen up the material first.

/ Grillo 107D questions
Thanks for the answers. That is very useful info. I didn't think about the reverser.

At this point I don't plan to get any more non-stationary front attachments driven by power, and if I do I will get the Grillo model.

I am not concerned about the wheels lining up with the mower; I don't have any fields, just a bunch of forest, so I won't be mowing in rows. About the only place I will be mowing grass in a "row" will be my lawn area, and I have a regular mower for that - I would just use the tractor for those times when the grass is too high to work with the conventional mower, and I can deal with the tires/etc. then too.

The main problem for me would be whether there are areas between trees, etc. that I want to mow, but want to keep certain vegetation and not run over it, and/or I want to get between those areas.

I may just start with the large singles for now and see if those work. If not then I can upgrade later. I am sure I need larger diameter wheels/tires though - I bottom out and get stuck all the time.

/ Grillo 107D questions #7  
I am looking to get a 107d and I currently have a BCS 720 (just smaller than your 730). I have not been able get my eyes or hands on a grillo 107d. I don't know if there are any grillos here in Utah. What are your thoughts on the differences between the two machines? What do you like better about one or the other? Thanks.

/ Grillo 107D questions
So far it is working good. I like the brakes. I haven't used the BCS very much - just to run the chipper a little and it would not really grind up very much - anything an inch or over could stop the engine. I haven't hooked the chipper to the Grillo yet, so I don't know how much better the larger engine would work. The 730 has smaller tires too so it got stuck easier.

/ Grillo 107D questions
JP,

I used the BCS with the tiller today. I had not used it in quite a while.

I was comparing it to the Grillo.

The 730 seems much smaller, and not just because of the much smaller wheels/tires.

I do like the way the BCS does the adjustment of the handles/steering. I noticed my Grillo only allows swinging the bars to one side and locking them there whereas the BCS allows swinging to either side and more up and down positions - but the Grillo steering column/bars seem more solid and sturdier.

The Grillo seems to be made with better components that are more robust.

I will probably sell the BCS next year. I don't see myself needing two tractors and I like the Grillo better. The larger wheels and more power are nice too - but you can get those with a BCS. I was looking at the 730 and a person would need to get axle extensions and possibly PTO extensions to fit larger wheels on it, otherwise there isn't enough clearance. Larger BCS tractors may have more clearance.

Overall, I think I prefer the Grillo to the BCS - but I do wish Grillo made the steering swing both ways (pun unintended) like the BCS does.

/ Grillo 107D questions
I was just running the BCS 730 and several more things came to mind.

BCS has a better reverser setup.

Neutral is easier to find on a BCS, but shifting from one gear to another is harder, especially into first on my tractor. I had to hit the lever down by the gate to get it to go into first.

The rubber clamps to hold the levers on the BCS don't hold them securely - they often fall out of the rubber and I don't always notice that it has happened - whereas on the Grillo I have never had the levers fall out.

The PTO on the BCS is harder to engage, but it is setup in such a way that using the reverser automatically kicks the PTO out of gear, which is good. I can't remember if the Grillo does that, but I do remember that the PTO isn't turning when in reverse, so that accomplishes the same thing, and is maybe even more convenient.