The largest 2-wheeled tractor in the world?

/ The largest 2-wheeled tractor in the world? #1  

Jens767

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 740
Hi :)

The fact that The Guinness Book of Records is one of the best-selling books in the world indicates that a lot of us have an interest in world records.

Most tractor enthusiasts are probably familiar with the largest agricultural tractor in the world, the one-off Big Bud 16V-747, build in 1978 by the Northern Manufacturing Co. in Montana, USA. Even after almost 40 years, it still holds the world record as the most powerful tractor ever made, with an impressive 900 hp 24.1-litre Detroit Diesel engine, and an operating weight of 130,000 lb (59 t) [Henshaw, 2006].

In this forum, we have a soft spot for 2-wheeled tractors, so I was wondering which one might be the largest in the world? I don't know the answer, but it could be interesting to see some candidates, though we probably won't get even close to the Big Bud ;)

When it comes to "conventional" 4-wheeled agricultural tractors, most of us have a pretty clear idea what such a tractor looks like. Perhaps it's a little more tricky when it comes to 2-wheeled tractors, as they come in more shapes than their 4-wheeled cousins. Some larger 2-wheeled tractors have small supporting wheels, but in spite of that, we still call them "2-wheeled". As I was looking for a large model and candidate for this post, I leaned on the German word for a 2-wheeled tractor "Einachsschlepper" which in English could be translated into "1-axled tractor".

The German-made Eicher "Agri-Robot" was presented in 1964, as an automated plowing machine developed in cooperation with a Dutch tractor dealer, who came up with the idea. This video shows the machine at work:

https://youtu.be/-AoGZ87YIW0

The tractor was build using standard Eicher tractor and plow parts, but was converted into hydrostatic transmission to allow it to work automatic, without an operator. The farmer would drive the tractor to the field as normal, and he would also plow the first furrow and the two limiting furrows at the headlands. Guided by the first furrow - and limited by the furrows at the headlands - the Agri-Robot would plow the rest of the field on its own. The balance plow would automatically alter by each pass, and the tractor would stop at the end of the field, or if a malfunction should occur.

After the presentation of the prototype, 5 further tractors were build. They were all powered by an aircooled 40 hp Eicher diesel engine and had specially designed tires, providing equally good traction in either direction [Sack, 2005].

These internet-pages shows pictures of - what is believed to be - the only surviving machine:

Willkommen auf der Homepage der Eicherfreunde - Wassenberg!

Eicher Agri-Robot Technische Daten - Alles rund um die Eicher Agri-Robot

I hope you found this thread interesting, and I look forward to see other large 2-wheeled tractors from some of you.

Best regards

Jens

/ The largest 2-wheeled tractor in the world? #2  
Amazingly simple concept. Why did it not go?

/ The largest 2-wheeled tractor in the world? #3  
Interesting? Yes. But I wish I understood German and then it would be even more interesting. I'd also like to know what happened. Why was that tractor not commercially successful?

/ The largest 2-wheeled tractor in the world? #4  
Interesting? Yes. But I wish I understood German and then it would be even more interesting. I'd also like to know what happened. Why was that tractor not commercially successful?

I ran the text from one of the links in Jens767's post through Google Translate. Here is the part that may answer your question:

"However, the Agri-Robot was just a prototype, which was still under development. But was Eicher convinced that one could develop the Agri-Robot to a technically completely flawlessly working plow machine at the end, with the aim of later series sales.

That did not happen so, various reasons. Eicher had on the one hand is not enough capital to develop the machine ready. Secondly, it was doubtful whether there was sufficient farms that have bought such a special machine, which was used only for a single application."

/ The largest 2-wheeled tractor in the world? #5  
And if it needed someone to watch it to see that it didn't run off across the countryside by accident, that person might as well drive it.

Bruce

/ The largest 2-wheeled tractor in the world?
Hi again :)

In the 1950s Europe, many workers began working in the growing industries in the cities, which lead to a shortage of labor on the farms. This was also the time where the first specialized harvesters were build, for harvesting grain, potatoes, sugar beets etc. All the machines - including the fast growing number of tractors replacing the horses - made it possible to get more work done with less manpower.

The idea of the Agri-Robot was to go a step further, and automate the plowing process, and thereby reduce the workload for the farmer to an absolute minimum. After the farmer had prepared the first 3 furrows, the Agri-Robot would plow the rest of the field on its own - without any assistance from the farmer! At the beginning of the video (0:13), the farmer switch the tractor to automatic, after having prepared the field and the tractor for the job, and the tractor would plow until the horizontal stick mounted on the landside (left hand side), reached the "stop pole" (1:35) at the far side of the field. A switch would then cut the fuel flow, and the tractor would stop.

To make this possible - and safe - the tractor was supplied with a number of safety features, should anything go wrong. One of these was a little steel cage wheel, mounted on the outer side of the furrow-wheel (1:03). This little wheel rode on the previous furrow, and was connected to a timer. If the steel cage wheel would stop rotating, the fuel flow to the engine would be cut after 10 seconds, and the tractor brought to a hold. This would stop the tractor if:

- The furrow-wheel got out of the furrow to either side
- The tractor overshot one of the furrows at the headlands
- One of the tractor wheels lost traction and slipped
- The tractor would get stocked

Normal engine parameters like oil pressure and temperature was of course monitored, as well as rainfall. Above a certain amount of rain, the tractor would stop automatically.

As said, only a few were build, and further development would have been needed to bring it on the marked. The Eicher company was convinced, that they could solve the technical issues at hand, but they didn't have the necessary financial strength for further development [Sack, 2005].

Best regards

Jens

/ The largest 2-wheeled tractor in the world? #7  
I always wear a suit and tie when working on/around my tractor.

/ The largest 2-wheeled tractor in the world? #8  
Today they could (and do) something similar with GPS.

Eventually (if someone isn't doing it already) it will be fully robotic with maybe a human sitting in an office somewhere (in suit and tie OP) supervising multiple robotic tractors at the same time. I know multiple vendors are working on this now, I don't know if they are using it in actual ag production.

/ The largest 2-wheeled tractor in the world?
Hi again :)

There hasn't been many new candidates for the title as the world's largest 2-wheeled tractor until now, so I would like to add some of the information I have been able to find regarding the Agri-Robot.

The video in my first post is dated 1962. This fact combined with the text below the video, indicate that it was made on June 20th 1962, when the Dutch farmer Cornelis Sieling presented his invention to the local press. Based on this prototype, Eicher produced their test model and presented it to the agricultural press April 14th 1964. As mentioned, the Agri-Robot never went into production.

Another - and more resent - candidate to the title could be the tractor produced by Lansberry Tractor Company in Pennsylvania, USA. This unique design features 2 wheels with a single track in between:

Lansberry Tractor Company, Inc. - Homepage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQEL5S4fbGY

Technically, I think this configuration qualifies as a 2-wheeled tractor, so it could be interesting to hear more about this interesting design.

Best regards

Jens

/ The largest 2-wheeled tractor in the world? #10  
Long ago, in Colorado:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/general-vintage-tractors/346124-abandoned-tractor.html

And from halfway down this page:
Bills page

unitrack1.jpg

Bruce