BCS - help changing attachments?

/ BCS - help changing attachments? #1  

Thamnophis

Tractor
BCS 739 Power Safe
Hello all, I've had a BCS 739 power safe for about a year and love it. But I hate changing the attachments. I go back and forth between the sickle bar and the tiller sometimes 4 times a week. When I'm hot, dirty and tired it gets to be a PIA. Has anyone made some sort of frame or structure that assists in changing the attachments?

I'm imagining a solid frame that I could drive the attachment into, let the tractor tip down onto it, then flip the release and back the tractor, sans attachment, out - leaving the PTO in a position and angle to be easily reattached when needed.

Joe

/ BCS - help changing attachments? #2  
I'm in a similar situation. I just bought a 750 PS recently and have a tough time too. It's fairly easy with the chipper/shredder since you can adjust the feet to get the right angle, but the tiller is an entirely different story. The only quick fix I can think of is cut a wooden wedge and angle the implement and steer the tractor unit into it. Other than that maybe build some sort of stand but then you'd have to lift the tiller onto it every time which would probably be a bigger PITA.

Gene

/ BCS - help changing attachments? #3  
I put a wedge of wood under the implement, and then once the male end is into the female end I push the whole thing, implement first, against a wooden post. That works for the Grillo with the QD coupler, but it takes a bit of doing and is annoying. Nothing like the vids of using the QD coupler at all.

With the BCS that doesn't have a QD coupler, I just push the studs into the slots and then put the nuts on the studs - easier than the QD coupler actually - but then I have 8" wheels on the BCS (730) so the angle isn't severe. As I recall, the chipper/shredder was more work.

/ BCS - help changing attachments? #4  
I just posted some pictures of a really simple tool I use to separate these difficult buggers.

/ BCS - help changing attachments? #5  
I just posted some pictures of a really simple tool I use to separate these difficult buggers.

Hi. Well I think it just takes a little practice. I think mounting the tiller on BCS is one of the easier implements. Being a regular user of the equipment I change implements a lot. I find that in nearly all cases when able to back into the implement to connect, this is the best way. So have your tractor handle bars in rear mount position to mount a tiler, or sickle bar, or mower. Have one hand on the handle bar and one hand on the tiller height adjustment lever (and a foot on the tiller rear flap) and a little bit of wiggle and you should be set. Once you do it enough it will become a breeze. Sometimes you have to manually line up the jaws (on newer tapered 3 jaw BCS). Some implements there are some tricks to it, for example when mounting the BCS flail mower I find it much easier to raise the caster wheels into the "stowed" position and then mount or un mount it. Again I do this with handle bars in rear mount position. About one of the only implements I can't do that with is the chipper because its so tall. The rotary plow can be challenging at first but once you do it a few times it is also very easy. Unfortunately for most of us we are so busy, who has time to spend test fitting your implements to your tractor!

I hope that helps. If not send me a message and we can talk.

/ BCS - help changing attachments? #6  
The things I have found that helps is plenty of grease, and a flat area to hook up, with something solid to push into to hook up. Using a pry bar to separate helps, as does having the handlebars over the equipment so you can jiggle it. I am currently planning a shed/barn to store all my BCS stuff, plan on a post in front of every implement to push against.
The more you swap implements, the better it will work because of wear.
Keeping the couplers clean of dirt also helps, hard when it is greasy.

/ BCS - help changing attachments? #7  
I only have front end attachments (so far) on my Grillo. I don't have the quick couplers. I use a large block of wood beneath the engine to hold it in place while I man handle the attachment onto the studs.

/ BCS - help changing attachments? #8  
I have a new 739 with a tiller and snow thrower. I have only taken it off a couple times so far but it hasn't been a huge problem. I just have to jiggle a bit and it usually comes off pretty easy.

I use fluid film to keep it lubricated and prevent corrosion.

/ BCS - help changing attachments? #9  
My problem isn't getting the parts to mate, but to separate. I worry about beating on it with a pry bar or chisel and was hoping someone had a slick trick. It's such a PIA that I doubt that I'm doing it right.

/ BCS - help changing attachments? #10  
My problem isn't getting the parts to mate, but to separate. I worry about beating on it with a pry bar or chisel and was hoping someone had a slick trick. It's such a PIA that I doubt that I'm doing it right.

No, don't beat on it. You say you have a 750 model? That should be really easy. Unless you let it sit for years in the rain or something. The dealer you bought it from should support you when you need help. On the 750, make sure the "pin" is up and then wiggle handlebars ONLY UP AND DOWN while pushing tractor away from implement with one hand and holding tiller steady with other hand. Of course make sure tractor is NOT in gear and brakes are NOT on. Mounting and dis-mounting implements is generally very quick and easy and should only take a few of seconds literally. Having said that hay balers and hay rakes can take a little longer. Everything else is a piece of cake so long as its cleaned up and lubed regularly.