Grillo 107d or BCS 739

/ Grillo 107d or BCS 739 #1  

jrpeterson05

Tractor
BCS 720, BCS 739
I have a BCS 720 that works fine but I'm looking to get something a bit bigger. Right now all I have is a tiller and that is what I will be doing 95% of the time in the future. I just got a good deal on a BCS snow thrower yesterday. I imagine I will get to use that half a dozen times a year but I will be using the tiller probably about 50 to 100 hours a year. Other implements I might get in the future are rotary plow, and possibly a used lawn mower if I can find a good deal. (I only have a 1/3 acre lot).

I have had my eye on a 107d for about a year for a couple reasons. First is price, I can get more machine for less money. And second I understand they might make a slightly better tiller than BCS. I can get a 739 locally for about the same as a 107d from earthtools shipped to me with a few extras (quick couplings, foam filled tires). I might have the chance to get a lightly used 739 at a bit of a discount as well.

I have not had the chance to use a powersafe clutch before and that is one of my concerns with getting a 739. I would like to get some thought on people who have used it. One of my concerns with the 107d is the reverser. I have seen alot of people prefer the bsc style rather than the grillo style. But again I have not had the chance to use the Grillo and try it out. I know the 739 is missing the steering brakes that the 107 has, I think they might be nice but if I am not mowing much (if at all) I might never need them. I know that the snow thrower I just got will not work with the Grillo, and if I ever want to find a cheap used lawnmower it will probably be a BCS. I have never seen a Grillo here in Utah and everyone I ask have never heard of them.

I would just like to get your thoughts, should I stick with BCS and get slightly less machine or just make the switch to Grillo and have to buy new.

Thanks

/ Grillo 107d or BCS 739 #2  
The reverser on the 107d isn't a deal breaker for me. I prefer the BCS style, but that isn't enough.

ALso, from what I understand (I could be wrong), the 110D has a BCS style reverser - you might look into the 110D.

/ Grillo 107d or BCS 739
Thanks codemonkey. I have looked into that, but that is another $500 for the 110.

I know there has been some discussion about the powersafe clutch. I usually prefer things that are simple. It just seams like it is another thing that can go wrong or break. Does anyone have any thoughts or reasons why they prefer the powersafe clutch?

/ Grillo 107d or BCS 739 #4  
I think the better clutch, reverser and other features of the 110D would be worth it. I got my 107D used, but had I the choice and knew the better features of the 110D I would have paid the extra amount.

But to each their own.

/ Grillo 107d or BCS 739 #5  
Hi jrpeterson05 :)

You mention that you are concerned about the BCS PowerSafe clutch. A number of members have offered their opinions and told about their experience using this new clutch. You have probably read it already, but otherwise this thread

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/2-wheeled-tractors/231657-powersafe-clutch-bcs.html

offers 11 pages of good information.

I passed the first 100 hours on my BCS 740 (almost equivalent to the 749 in the US) this week, and I'm very pleased with the clutch. As it was new, it was difficult to find the "sweet spot" when releasing the clutch lever, and especially with high-torque implements like lawn mowers, that can put a lot of stress on the entire drivetrain. Approaching the 100 hours, this has become much better, and I find it much easier to "feel" the clutch now, and it really engages much smoother. Perhaps the clutch simply had a rather long brake-in period - or perhaps it's simply me getting a better feel for the tractor - I don't know :confused:

I can't comment on the traditional cone clutch or compare it with the PowerSafe clutch, as I have no experience using it.

Concerning steering brakes, it seems like some use them a lot, and others hardly use them at all. I belong to the latter group, so I wouldn't worry about the BCS 739 having none.

Best regards

Jens

/ Grillo 107d or BCS 739 #6  
Have you looked into Koppl? I have just discovered them and have not researched them yet... only watched a few videos on YouTube.

KÖPPL GmbH

Main Street 118, Saldenburg / Entschenreuth , Bavaria |94163 Germany

/ Grillo 107d or BCS 739
Thanks everyone for your replies. This weekend I was able to look at a very lightly used BCS 739 at a very good price(less than an hour of use).

I haven't been able to use it very much yet but there is one thing that I have notices with it. I am having a hard time getting the PTO to slide into gear each time. sometimes it goes right in but most time it doesn't go in easily. With my 720 I could feather the clutch a little bit to get it to slide in but with the Powersafe clutch I don't believe that is possible, I tried a couple times and it grinds each time. I understand it really isn't possible to feather that clutch, it is either engaged or disengaged. Does anyone with a Powersafe clutch ever have that problem? Is there an easy way to get the PTO into gear?

Thanks

/ Grillo 107d or BCS 739 #8  
I have a 739. If I can't get the pto to engage, sometimes it helps to engage the clutch, disengage, and try again. Or move the machine a little. I agree with Jens that it does seem to get smoother with time.

My guess is that it is probably a very excellent clutch strength wise. What I don't like about it is that it has a brake which instantly stops the machine when you disengage the clutch. It's not an issue with implements, but if you're riding a sulky, the instant stopping is very annoying.

I put steering brakes on mine. Just fitted some bicycle brake parts. I don't really get much out of them. The handlebars are so long on the machine that I don't really have any trouble steering mine. The limiting factor for me is how fast I can run in a circle necessary to turn on a dime.

Even with my complaints, this thing is hugely useful. It does a whole lot of work. And it's definitely built solid. Tiller, sickle bar mower and rotary plow are all fantastic. What this sickle bar mower can do is really amazing. Check my tread on the implement removal tool though. Those quick hitches can be difficult.

/ Grillo 107d or BCS 739
I put steering brakes on mine. Just fitted some bicycle brake parts. I don't really get much out of them. The handlebars are so long on the machine that I don't really have any trouble steering mine. The limiting factor for me is how fast I can run in a circle necessary to turn on a dime.

I haven't had much time to look into it but is it difficult to put the steering brakes on on 739?

/ Grillo 107d or BCS 739 #10  
Re: the PTO engagement.

It might be that the clutch is not adjusted properly.

Check to see if there is slack in the cable when the clutch is engaged. I am not sure about the power-safe clutch, but with conventional clutches, there should a little slack when it is engaged (clutch lever fully released). Conversely, when disengaged, the clutch should not be "dragging", which might cause gear/PTO "grinding". If there is too much slack in the clutch cable, then it may not be disengaging the clutch fully - there should just be a little slack in the cable. Too much or not enough can cause problems.