Grillo 131 and 110

/ Grillo 131 and 110 #1  

Sheltermonkey

Tractor
none
I considering the purchase of a Grillo, 34" flail mower and rototiller. Maybe a cultivator and some wheel extensions too. I have read that a flail mower will slow a two wheel tractor down, so I'm wandering what tractor works best with that 34" flail mower. Seems like there are less 34" mowers out there and even less Grillo 131s.

I had a worn out Gravely L that did a poor job of mowing tall grass using a 30 inch rotary cutter so I'm a bit concerned that these machines can do enough work in a reasonable amount of time.

Can a Grillo 131 get things done a little quicker due to the extra power and weight than a Grillo 110 with the steering brakes mounted in a nicer spot on the handles and faster forward speeds? Any chance the controls on the 131 get redesigned?

/ Grillo 131 and 110 #2  
Hi! If you look for speed dont buy a flail mower. These mowers (heavy) need more power more gas and are slow. May be you cannot use a 110 in third reverse 3.4 mph the second reverse is 1,65 mph. With the 131 the first is 1.25 mph second reverse is 2,5 mph
Rotary mower as bush hog are the best for speed and often make better job
If you want a flail mower expensive to buy and to repair The 131 with the 34 in, is a good choice better than 110
But a 110 with a 32 in, bush hog mower in third reverse 3.4 mph will be cut a more large area in the same time and for less money. Good luck , Oldmech

/ Grillo 131 and 110
Thanks oldmech. I want the ability to chop up a cover crop into little pieces too. I would be pretty happy to mow at 2.5 mph if a mower could cut all 34 inches well. Not enough videos out there of a 34" flail mower working away in thick grass. One video did look good tho.

/ Grillo 131 and 110 #4  
Sheltermonkey, hi

I have a used G131 for sale. Look me up if you are interested. Also have G110. Send me a message if you are interested.

/ Grillo 131 and 110 #5  
How many Grillo dealers are there in the US?

/ Grillo 131 and 110 #6  
Flail mowers are safer than rotary mowers. I know this from experience. Yes, they use more power, but they also grind up stalks, tall grass, etc. in one pass. I prefer a flail mower for those reasons.

/ Grillo 131 and 110 #8  
I have a 26" Berta on my Grillo 110

It will pretty much mow whatever it can bend over - including strong saplings up to about 1". Much more than that and it chews on it but then clogs up. I have 20 acres of forest and I had a the 3 to 4 acres around my house thinned and some heavy brush cleared, then I went through last summer with the flail and mowed over the underbrush and some of the woody growth (mostly maple saplings).

It would hand crop vegetation easily as long as the "crop" isn't woody like small trees.

If my next place (where I will build after I retire) is as brushy as this place is, then I will get the Grillo 131 diesel, but the 110 works fine on vegetation that isn't woody, and even woody stuff is okay, I just need to be careful to not bite off more than I can chew.