BCS CHipper/Shredder

/ BCS CHipper/Shredder #1  

Sven32

I work for a BCS dealership and have a customer interested in the BCS739 with the chipper/shredder. He is concerned about the caster on rough ground and if they will hold up constant abuse. I have not sold this attachment so I have no real world insight. Any help?

/ BCS CHipper/Shredder
duly noted, how about constant "use", are these casters, which look awfully small on product videos and literature, able to handle anything but flat land use?

/ BCS CHipper/Shredder #4  
I'm going to assume you are talking about the BIO-100?

I had a BIO-100 chipper for a couple years. It was a pain to move around because it wasn't stable on the narrow track width. The narrow hard plastic wheels will sink in soft ground, too. I got around these problems to a small degree by pulling the chipper to where I wanted to go - walking backward and guiding the machine in reverse. Earth Tools offers a wider bar to mount the tires further out from the frame. I don't see it on their website. I've never used one, but assume that it would make the chipper more stable over rough terrain.

Personally, I just don't care for the BIO-100. It doesn't really live up to its claims. I now have a BIO-90, and it's a very good unit, though still unstable when traveling over rough terrain. I plan on putting wider casters on it very soon.

/ BCS CHipper/Shredder
Thanks for the reply. I will pass this along to my potential customer. I am in Canada and they only import one Chipper in for us. Nothing provides a model number like you are referring to above.

I appreciate the insight!

/ BCS CHipper/Shredder #6  
I went on BCSAmerica's website, and it looks like Del Morino (or whoever BCS has contracted to build B-100 chippers this week) did make the wheels out further than the Caravaggi BIO-100 I had. It should follow the ground a little better than mine did. Still, the 3" limb capacity is a gross overestimation. It'll chip broomsticks with ease, but put a little bend or a fork in the branch you're chipping, and you'll find out the machine's limitation - you can't get the material to the blade.