Transmission oil change on 739

/ Transmission oil change on 739 #1  

jrpeterson05

Tractor
BCS 720, BCS 739
I just changed the transmission oil for the first time on my BCS 739. And I have a few questions.

I put in about 2.2 liters of new oil ( the manual says that 2.3 is needed) but when I put the cap back on it looks like the oil level is about an inch above the top mark. I checked the amount of oil that drained out and it was about 2 liters plus what is in the filter so it looks like I put about the right amount in. I'm guessing once it is turned it on it will circulate through and the level will drop down bit but I just wanted to check here first.

Thanks

/ Transmission oil change on 739 #2  
Hi there,

The PS filter will, indeed, take part of the oil. You can safely operate it, as is.

In the future, you should check the transmission dipstick as you're adding oil, rather than simply adding a fixed amount. This will allow you to compensate for the possibility that you may not have emptied the gearbox completely when you drained the old oil.

Don't forget to use proper hydraulic fluid! See this Service Bulletin for more info.

Have fun out there!

/ Transmission oil change on 739 #3  
I'm pretty sure the manual that came with my BCS 739 said to use 90w GL5 or 80w-90 GL5 gear lube. Is this the same stuff as listed in the service bulletin? I don't remember it listing any of these fluids.

/ Transmission oil change on 739 #4  
I'm pretty sure the manual that came with my BCS 739 said to use 90w GL5 or 80w-90 GL5 gear lube. Is this the same stuff as listed in the service bulletin? I don't remember it listing any of these fluids.

We are very glad that you asked, NibbanaFarm, because this requires some clarification.

The manual for the 739 and other PowerSafe models (page 41) specifies a hydro-mechanical gear oil, which, translated into commercial language, refers to tractor hydraulic/transmission fluid. The characteristics of this oil make it both a suitable lubricant for the gears in the transmission and serve as a hydraulic fluid that will operate the clutch.

By contrast, the gear oil that is used in BCS's non-PowerSafe, "standard" models simply lubricates the gears in the transmission.

These two categories of lubricants are not interchangeable. Even though both have an 80W-90 designation, this does not mean that they possess the same viscosity. The 80W-90 gear oil is much more viscous than the 80W-90 hydro-mechanical oil. The viscosity of the latter is equivalent to a motor oil with a 15W-40 designation.

Most of BCS's PowerSafe clutch service issues occur after the first oil change, when customers mistakenly use 80W-90 gear oil, which is so viscous that it cannot circulate through the hydraulic path; thereby eliminating the pressure needed to compress the clutch plates.

A general reminder for all of us who maintain power equipment is to always check the category of the oil to be used; not just the numbers on the container.

/ Transmission oil change on 739 #5  
Thank You. I'm glad I never got around to changing that oil yet.

I would have read that I'm sure, except I never even got a manual for my 739 tractor. Now that you mention it. I received several different manuals covering many BCS tractor models, none of which was the 739. Why? Probably for the same reason that my tractor wasn't even assembled properly when I took delivery. (It took me a while to figure out what was wrong and fix it.) I'm sure most BCS dealers are very competent though. Unfortunately mine wasn't.

Anyway, now I wonder how I can go about getting the owners manual for my tractor?

/ Transmission oil change on 739 #6  
First of all, we're sorry to hear about your poor dealer experience. It is no secret that some BCS dealers are better than others. If you'd like to expand upon your experience and file a formal complaint, please e-mail us at info@bcsamerica.com. We'll do our best to address the issue.

We're a little confused by your statement of not receiving your manual, simply because your previous post mentioned the "manual that came with my BCS 739". Regardless, you can find all manuals (for tractors and attachments) on our Service Information page. You can find the PowerSafe manual (which covers 739) at this link. If you'd like a physical copy, please e-mail us your contact info.

We will be the first to admit that BCS's manuals leave much to be desired. We've done our best to create Service Bulletins that address common service-related questions and issues. Please take a minute to browse the tractor and attachment bulletins on the Service Information page, and of course if you have specific questions you can e-mail info@bcsamerica.com for a prompt response.

Thanks!

/ Transmission oil change on 739 #7  
BCS America, I just want to say I really like the service bulletins. They provide the extra level of detail on the key issues that pop up (like this oil discussion). Thank you!

/ Transmission oil change on 739 #8  
Thanks BCS America. I'm glad I found this out before I put the wrong fluid in my tractor. I understand it must be hard to write a technical manual accurately in 6 different languages.

I was given 3 "manuals" with my tractor. One says "700 serie ACTION". And covers models 710,720,730,728,738,712,718,722,732. Another says "Owners use and care manual, code number 90103079, Edition 01.11" and lists 710,712,718,722,732,948,852,853. Both of these specify SAE 80-90 EP gear oil. The third is a 12 page maunual that just says "Powersafe" but doesn't specify any particular models. The only mention that I can find about lube is on page 6 and specifies "hydro-mechanical gear oil BCS Powerlube W7 SAE 80W-90 (API GL-5)", exactly the same as your linked manual. Which I wrongly interpreted as meaning any SAE 80W-90 GL-5. Not sure why I was given these other manuals. I guess it would have been less confusing if I was given a manual that specifically listed my tractor by model number and not given manuals for other tractors that have different lube specs.

Anyway, "all's well that ends well". I'll be requesting that manual.

/ Transmission oil change on 739
Thanks for all the replies. I did get the service bulletin, I have a John Deere place close and I was able to get the correct fluid. After I ran it for a few minutes I checked the oil level and it dropped down to just barely above the top line.

Thanks

/ Transmission oil change on 739 #10  
This is a very informative thread. I am getting a 853 about 4 years old delivered tomorrow. I plan to change the oil, gearbox oil and all filters, sort of tune it up. Does anyone know of a video to see the gearbox oil changed? I was planning on ordering all parts from Earthtools. Are there any other places that I should consider?

Thanks