BCS 30" tiller shallowest tilling depth

/ BCS 30" tiller shallowest tilling depth #1  

Tractorganic

Silver Member
Tractor
NH/TC40D SS; BCS 850, Brush Mower, Sulky, 'Tiller, Chipper, Snow Blower; JD X570-48-A
I have a 1995 BCS 850 with a 30" rototiller. I'd like to use the shallowest adjusted depth to lightly turn in cover crop seeds. I'd rather not rent or buy the recommended lawn roller so i just want to till the seeds in very shallow. Anyone know the depth of the 30" tiller on shallowest? Anyone tried this or do I really need a roller. The only rollers available right now are 24" pull or 36" to 48" lawn tractor push models. I have no lawn tractor, just the BCS 850.
Hey, anyone tried to run a roller with a BCS 14hp? It would leave foot and tire marks pushing or need to be done entirely done in reverse for pulling. I'd prefer not to trip and fall while in reverse and get run over and flattened! Rather use the tiller.
By the way, I've got wheel weights and tire chains on. Is this overkill for a 5 year fallow grass and weed field?
What say ye?
Chris

Last edited:
   / BCS 30" tiller shallowest tilling depth #2  
Suppose you could till them in, but you'll still have the seeds in ground with poor seed-to-soil contact. For best results, seeds really should be firmed into the soil. Many grain drills have packing wheels on the back, and many farmers also roll the ground after seeding. I just seeded 24 acres and rolled it afterward. A rainstorm within a couple days of seeding will also do the same job. Or watering the area seeded.

You can make a hand pull roller with an old pressure tank from a well system, or any other cylindrical object. You'll need to come up with a way to add weight, either through making the drum waterproof and adding water, or building a bracket to hold cinder blocks on top. You could also pull said homemade roller with a walk-behind with the handlebars offset, as long as you design the hitch to fit the walk-behind.

/ BCS 30" tiller shallowest tilling depth
Thanks a lot Bill. Here in Connecticut these past few years rain can be hard to come by, but this week starts a period of low pressure and some showers. If I time it right I'll take your advice about tilling casting seed before it rains. I don't have time to build a roller or even order one now this Spring, only to use a friend's pickup to rent a 24" one. The clovers and wildflowers need to go in now, so I'll try getting or building one later in the season.
Nice diesels!
Chris

/ BCS 30" tiller shallowest tilling depth #4  
I have a 1995 BCS 850 with a 30" rototiller. I'd like to use the shallowest adjusted depth to lightly turn in cover crop seeds. I'd rather not rent or buy the recommended lawn roller so i just want to till the seeds in very shallow. Anyone know the depth of the 30" tiller on shallowest? Anyone tried this or do I really need a roller.
Chris

I do this. It actually works incredibly well, in my experience. I broadcast rye and vetch with a hand crank spreader, then go over the field with the tiller set to minimum depth. I also use the wheel sold by earthtools for this purpose, to help keep the tiller from sinking it.

The downside is that it is slow and energy intensive (both mine and machine), for what should be a simpler job. I've thought about getting the disc harrow for just this job, but I don't know that it will work as well. I've also ganged a couple iron rakes together and walked the field, which is less satisfactory but not terrible, if we're expecting a few good rains.

/ BCS 30" tiller shallowest tilling depth #5  
I do this. It actually works incredibly well, in my experience. I broadcast rye and vetch with a hand crank spreader, then go over the field with the tiller set to minimum depth. I also use the wheel sold by earthtools for this purpose, to help keep the tiller from sinking it.

The downside is that it is slow and energy intensive (both mine and machine), for what should be a simpler job. I've thought about getting the disc harrow for just this job, but I don't know that it will work as well. I've also ganged a couple iron rakes together and walked the field, which is less satisfactory but not terrible, if we're expecting a few good rains.

Another option for seeding with walk-behind tractor (if you have one) is the power harrow. I have used it when seeding with great success. First I used a seeder to spread the seed. Then I set the power harrow very shallow so it stirs the seed into the soil a little, and then the rear roller does a nice job of pressing/firming the soil for better seed/soil contact. For anyone with a R2 Rinaldi power harrow you can run the (optional) R2 Rinaldi drop seeder connected directly to the power harrow so you can harrow and seed in 1 pass. Pretty nice! It is expensive though, and the power harrow with the seeder connected is very heavy. Needs front bumper weights for sure.