Adding steering brakes to BCS 732

/ Adding steering brakes to BCS 732 #1  

brooksto

Tractor
TYM 233, Kubota b2320, Simplicity Conquest, Cub Cadet slt1554, Ford lgt-12h
I am looking to buy a used BCS tractor to use as a brush mower on slopes too steep for my tractor. I think steering brakes would be helpful for these conditions. I have found a 730gx11 model with dual wheels. My understanding is that it has a locking diff but no steering brakes. Could the necessary braking parts from another model be added to allow steering brakes on the 730gx11 or 732?

/ Adding steering brakes to BCS 732 #2  
I don't think you're going to be happy with a 730GX11 as a mowing machine. They are a very uncommon unit that still has the weak handlebar setup of the post-1994, pre-2001 700 series machines. Also, their top speed is 1.4 mph at full throttle. That's half average human walking pace. If you have long distance to go to get mowing, it'll make you crazy.

Steering brakes can be added. Contact Earth Tools for the price of a kit to do so.

/ Adding steering brakes to BCS 732
Thank you for the advice. I think i need to do more research on these BCS tractors as i didnt know about the handlebars or slow speed. I contacted earthtools and they sell the brake kit for $195.

I was hoping to find a used BCS tractor that would fit my need versus buying a new 942 model with the HD combo mower that the local dealer quoted. Is there a better suggestion when looking for a used bcs to do slope brush mowing?

/ Adding steering brakes to BCS 732 #4  
I would look for any of the BCS with differentials, with 8+hp, with brakes or add that price, you will need them on slopes. It took me about 18+ months to find my 850, but it was a great upgrade from my 735. I have the 30" BCS comb mower, with a solid blade. It does an ok job on my rough stuff-steep slope with grass, weeds and briars. But I plan to replace it with a flail mower. A friend of mine has one of the super duty brush mower, a lot heavier, swinging blades, seems to do a good job.( I might be willing to part with my comb mower :) ) If I was looking, I would lean toward BCS 850, 852, 853, 740, 749, but then I tend to go bigger. You are welcome to come visit sometime, try my stuff out. Looks like I live maybe 20 miles form you, Lansing, NC