BCS Tiller not Tilling

/ BCS Tiller not Tilling #1  

otterbcs

Tractor
739 bcs
Hi. I have a new this year BCS 739 with a new tiller. I used the tiller 2x this year for about 1 hour each. I took it off of the tractor, and stored it for about 6 weeks. I went to use it today and it does not till. The PTO is working, and I am certain I'm turning on the tiller attachment with the lever (pushed forward). Nothing happens...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

/ BCS Tiller not Tilling #2  
Editing what I said earlier:

I think the clutch cable needs to be adjusted.
Are you comfortable doing something like this?

There is a video on YouTube showing how it is
done on an older Demo machine owned by a
BCS dealer.

/ BCS Tiller not Tilling
Editing what I said earlier:

I think the clutch cable needs to be adjusted.
Are you comfortable doing something like this?

There is a video on YouTube showing how it is
done on an older Demo machine owned by a
BCS dealer.

I'm not sure if this was in response to my question...

I can hear the PTO spinning, but the tiller isn't.

Also, everything works fine with my sickle bar mower.

Possibly gear(s) inside tiller. Any way to check?
I notice when I turn the thing that matches up with the PTO on the tractor, it just spins freely (w/o turning the tines or anything else).

Thank you.

/ BCS Tiller not Tilling #4  
Yes I was responding to your question.
If your sickle bar is working then a shear
pin is broken in the tiller drive train.

/ BCS Tiller not Tilling
Yes I was responding to your question.
If your sickle bar is working then a shear
pin is broken in the tiller drive train.

Thanks Leonz. That sounds like it's probably it.

I appreciate your insight.

/ BCS Tiller not Tilling #6  
Call the dealer or BCS about repair under the warranty. Being new you shouldn't have to worry about whats wrong with it.

/ BCS Tiller not Tilling #7  
Thanks Leonz. That sounds like it's probably it.

I appreciate your insight.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you buy your 2 wheel mule from my neighbor at the BCS SHOP?

/ BCS Tiller not Tilling
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you buy your 2 wheel mule from my neighbor at the BCS SHOP?

Yes, and am sure glad I did. Good to have such a great dealer in the area. I'm bringing it by next week.

/ BCS Tiller not Tilling #9  
With the sickle bar mower installed the handlebars are over the engine. In that position the PTO works in both directions.

With the tiller the handlebars are opposite the engine and over the PTO. In that position the PTO can only be engaged if the reverser is set for forward motion. With the reverser set for rearward motion the PTO can not be not be engaged. If the PTO is engaged and the reverser is moved for rearward motion the PTO will disengage.

Joel of Earthtools has a video about the system. You can find the video at the Earthtools site.

I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem.

/ BCS Tiller not Tilling #10  
So the machine moves, but the tiller doesn't turn? You can drive it forward and back without issue? If this is the case, it's not the clutch cable.

The PTO shaft should turn freely when it is disengaged. The engagement mechanism is internal. Take the tiller back off, start the tractor, engage the PTO and see if it turns (make sure the tractor is set to drive forward like Maine hills mentioned). Set the tiller attachment on its side and turn the tines to see if the PTO turns. If one of these doesn't turn, take it back to the dealer and have it repaired under warranty.

Do you have quick couplers on the tractor and attachment?