Just picked up a used BCS 737 how did i do?

/ Just picked up a used BCS 737 how did i do? #1  

jcraftenworth

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 9n, BCS 737
Hey gang, new to the forums, and just recently picked up a used spline only type BCS 737 with 40+ inch sickle bar mower and 30" combo mower. Price was $1300. Has an acme 10hp and it seems to run quite well, although the hrs of use on the machine are unknown as the guy I bought from was the second owner (and didn't really use it at all, bought it from his neighbor bc his neighbor recently moved).

Just ordered a used 20" tiller for 275 from earthtools, along with some quick attach ends so I don't have to use the nut and bolt approach every time.

I'll try to post some pictures later. Excited to have the equipment, as previously my main tiller for my 1/3 of an acre market garden was an 8" mantis (fantastic tiller and fits anywhere, but not the best for use on 30" raised beds!)

Mark

/ Just picked up a used BCS 737 how did i do? #2  
I have the 735 with the 10hp ACME and it still starts first or second pull. I bought it new in 1987 with the 26" tiller, 40" mower and sulky. I paid about $2300 for it and has been a good investment. Since I don't garden any more, I've thought about selling it, but just hate to see it go. Waiting on the pictures, would like to have a sickle mower.

735-3.jpg

Attachments

• 735.JPG
    735.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 894
  • 735-1.JPG
    735-1.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,765
  • 735-2.jpg
    735-2.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 910
   / Just picked up a used BCS 737 how did i do?
ok, attempt to attach pics. I discovered that I inherited the bcs factory spin out/adjustable width axles! Milkman: that mowing sulky setup with 40" deck is pretty sweet!

bcs3.jpg

bcs1.jpg

bcs2.jpg

/ Just picked up a used BCS 737 how did i do? #4  
Good looking machine, I'd say you did good. What is the gear selection on the 737, the 735 is 5 forward {tilling mode} and reverse hi and lo. Don't know why my pics turned out screwy.

In tilling/rear pto mode, 3 forward plus 1 ~9mph transport gear (I guess that suits me since I will be using it primarily for soil work). 3 reverse speeds with handle operated reverse lever (the lever is the same as the kind used for the clutch, not different and forward mounted on the handlebars like current units).

Having used solid axle tillers, I don't think I can do without differential and steering brakes ever again! Must have at any cost! lol

/ Just picked up a used BCS 737 how did i do? #7  
I looked for a used BCS for DECADES!!,, Around SW Virginia, they are non-existent,,,
so, I gave up, and purchased a used Gravely,,, then another,,,then another,,, :confused2:

My tiller Gravely,,,

10ProTiller2_zpsa3ee69d0.jpg

((Yes, it has new decals!!))

The BCS sure looks lighter,, which would be great for manuvering,,, the Gravely's go straight ahead,,, GREAT,,
but,,, they HATE to turn with certain attachments, even with a differential.

That Gravely with a tiller on was purchased with a mower. The mower is so heavy,, I can not figure out how to use it.
The mower is made out of 3/16" plate steel,,, even the belt shield on top,,,
I can not turn the mower, without severe back strain,,, THAT is no fun.

Right2_zpsed2c8bd2.jpg

We need lots of pics and feedback as you use the new to you machine,,, maybe I will be convinced to add a BCS to my fleet,,, :D

earthtools and daley's farm websites offer used machines at a moderate to severe (25-50 percent) discount compared to buying new. Would likely have to ship truck freight, but that's probably cheaper than driving to pick it up in Kentucky, Georgia or Tennessee! I had to drive 450 mile round trip to get mine, but I priced out a comparable new grillo at 3,000 and a bcs at 4000. New has a quality all its own, however the market garden just isn't producing that kind of revenue stream at present!

/ Just picked up a used BCS 737 how did i do? #9  
New has a quality all its own, however the market garden just isn't producing that kind of revenue stream at present!

Yea, I have a hard time spending $1,000 on a walk behind. I got the 10HP Gravely and mower for $250,,,
THAT is my kind of price. ;)
# 2, a 12HP, was $250,,, #3,, a 8HP, was $1,000,,, I am kinda walk-behinded to death!! :laughing:

Well you can't beat those prices. There was a nice gravely package deal nearby but I ended up passing, mainly because my beds are standardized at 30" width and the gravely doesn't have the soil working implements I wanted at that width. It probably doesn't have a power harrow, period, and that's the implement I'm really salivating at. One pass, perfectly level and prepped seedbed, bonus is its supposed to be more gentle on the soil and less prone to stirring up weeds. Very efficient, and also very pricey! On the plus side the rinaldi harrow has a rock solid rep for durability and reliability.