Intermotor/Lombardini 12HP gasoline motor flame out the exhaust?

/ Intermotor/Lombardini 12HP gasoline motor flame out the exhaust? #21  
Hello freedomlives,

I wanted to suggest the HATZ air cooled diesel engines made in Germany as a possible
replacement option for your two wheel mule.

leonz

/ Intermotor/Lombardini 12HP gasoline motor flame out the exhaust?
I wanted to suggest the HATZ air cooled diesel engines made in Germany as a possible
replacement option for your two wheel mule.
leonz

I read about them as well. I can probably set some watch up on German/Austria ebay and classifieds. Though I wonder if they make their engines with the Italian / Lombardini tapered PTO shaft.

The other thing that crossed my mind was a propane powered engine-- especially if I'd go for something new the Kohler CH440 can come with a factory propane carburetor. LPG here is approximately half the price of gasoline-- right now 1 gallon of LPG is 2.07€, 1 gallon of diesel 4.15€, and 1 gallon of regular gasoline is 4.65€.

(and right now the exchange rate is 1.00€ = $1.09)

/ Intermotor/Lombardini 12HP gasoline motor flame out the exhaust? #23  
I would check with a local Hatz engine dealer as they would be able to cross reference an engine for you in about 2 minutes or less. Getting the vibration isolators for the Hatz engine model you need should not be an issue.

As far as propane goes the issue is how and where are you going to mount the 20 pound tank on the 2 wheel mule. You could use a 10 pound tank I suppose but the last thing you want to deal with is changing tanks away from barn or garage and having to bring back the empty one while you are herding your 2 wheel mule back to the stable.

Hmm... there doesn't seem to be a local Hatz dealer here! But I see on their website that an "Italian" PTO shaft is an option. The most likely route of acquiring one though is going to be from some broken construction equipment. It does look nice though-- that they have low noise and vibration.
This is one of the big differences I see with my other Goldoni with the 3LD510 Lombardini diesel vs this one with the gas motor. The gas motor is so much quieter!
My other idea had been, to get the propane motor for the Goldoni with the powered trailer that now I no longer need to detach, and use its diesel motor on the Goldoni for rotovating and rotary plowing, even grass mowing.
But now I'm just happy that the motor is working, and yesterday I got some beds in the garden prepared, next week with the rotary plow we'll be planting potatoes...

/ Intermotor/Lombardini 12HP gasoline motor flame out the exhaust? #25  
Another thought on the cause of your engine problems. Does the engine have a compression release system to make starting easier? If so it may not be disengaging completely and causing a valve to stay open too long or similar. That might account for both the flame the exhaust and the strange valve operation.

I don't think so. The Lombardini diesel 3LD510 has a compression release, but it is a lever on top of the valve cover that manipulates somehow the rocker arm, and given the external similarities between these engines (it looks like similar castings are used, even if bore sizes and stuff are different) I don't think this old engine has some automatic decompression system to help with starting. Nor is there anything in the user or service manual written about this that I can tell (insofar as my growing understanding of technical Italian allows :) ).
What I didn't check because it would require a lot more disassembly work than I want to do right now, is whether the tappets that go on the ends of the push rods were swapped (if it is possible to do), because I see in the parts list that these are separate part numbers, as likewise the valves are different part numbers. So I kind of wonder if the engine was rebuilt and a mistake like that was made that somehow causes funny operation.